Now I remember why I became an electrician

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my time with better reflexes, I used to even change out wall sockets and switches without turning off the breaker. I have done a wee bit of plumbing in my past, but not very much.

Now, my full "expertise" in plumbing is turning off the water at the valve, which I do every time we leave the RV park. There are too many instances of people with RV's leaving their water on to the RV and come home to find a flooded RV.

We have experienced two occasions where a PEX fitting failed and started spewing water. Fortunately, in both cases, we were at home and I heard the water running and turned things off.
https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Shutoff-Sensors-Automatic-Prevention/dp/B07C5PS64P?th=1
One of my ideas I should have pursued and started a business with.

A water sensing device going to an alarm which sends a signal to the wireless water shut off.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you call a bad electrcian?

A shock absorber.
That’s No Bueno. I sold industrial motor controls my entire career and we had a guy we worked with who would perform diagnostics on power distribution systems. Skip, who was a healthy 40 year old man got hit with an arc-flash while installing equipment. Two months later we thought he’d recovered but out of the blue he died of a massive heart attack. We joke around but some of that stuff needs to be well respected

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh i always respected it just like a snake every wire is hot til i prove to myself other wise and still treat it as a live wire, just like a snake every snake is deadly til it is dead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s No Bueno. I sold industrial motor controls my entire career and we had a guy we worked with who would perform diagnostics on power distribution systems. Skip, who was a healthy 40 year old man got hit with an arc-flash while installing equipment. Two months later we thought he’d recovered but out of the blue he died of a massive heart attack. We joke around but some of that stuff needs to be well respected
Spent my entire career working in high voltage equipment and distribution systems. Mainly 480V three phase, but occasionally up to 60,000 volt electron beam welder systems while in the industrial manufacturing business. Later on at the Sooner Power plant for OG&E that was elevated to 365,000 volts.
The higher voltages require an incredible amount of safety protocols to work on them. They can reach out a long way and touch you with a disastrous ending.
We never had any issues but watching some safety videos at meetings of folks that didn't follow those safety rules, we saw what could happen to the human body at those voltages. It wasn't pretty.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean something like this, 2 guys trying to steal cooper cable but the problem was it was hot when they tried to cut it.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent my entire career working in high voltage equipment and distribution systems. Mainly 480V three phase, but occasionally up to 60,000 volt electron beam welder systems while in the industrial manufacturing business. Later on at the Sooner Power plant for OG&E that was elevated to 365,000 volts.
The higher voltages require an incredible amount of safety protocols to work on them. They can reach out a long way and touch you with a disastrous ending.
We never had any issues but watching some safety videos at meetings of folks that didn't follow those safety rules, we saw what could happen to the human body at those voltages. It wasn't pretty.
We had a camera to install at the Boeing plant in Wichita. They had to take down a line 50 ft away from where I would be working. No idea the voltages involved but they were adamant no work until that line was down. Works for me.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a union electrician I got to install high-voltage breakers at a couple of OG&E substations. You really got an idea of how much voltage was running thorough those places when you could walk across the yard with the high-tension lines 20 ft. above your head and the ticker in your pocket is going off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom