Obama "warns" unelected SCOTUS about overturning ACA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really think Romney or any of the Repub contenders would "regulate around" the Congress and SCOTUS like this asshat has? WTJ is correct, he doesn't care how our .gov is supposed to work. He thinks he is a dictator and supreme ruler. I don't care for any of the repub candidates, but compared to what we have now, I'll pull that lever so hard the machine will splode. I do believe that at least the repubs have some respect for our governmental system for what it is and want to preserve it.

You sir, are more optimistic than I.

W seemed to work around the constitution at times but he had the media on his a$$ whereas this jackwagon has the media in his pocket.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sir, are more optimistic than I.

W seemed to work around the constitution at times but he had the media on his a$$ whereas this jackwagon has the media in his pocket.

Yes. Yes he did. But I don't believe for a second that he was trying to be a banana republic dictator like the guy we have now. Also he isn't in the current list of potential nominees.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really think Romney or any of the Repub contenders would "regulate around" the Congress and SCOTUS like this asshat has? WTJ is correct, he doesn't care how our .gov is supposed to work. He thinks he is a dictator and supreme ruler. I don't care for any of the repub candidates, but compared to what we have now, I'll pull that lever so hard the machine will splode. I do believe that at least the repubs have some respect for our governmental system for what it is and want to preserve it.

Yes, I think they would. We certainly know that GWB did to the same degree, and he had loads of help. No reason to think that will change. Just because you pull the lever doesn't mean the spinning wheels do anything.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy's, it really is funny though isn't it? It goes back to Marbury vs. Madison when the court ruled on the power of the court to rule.

Obama vs. Marbury v. Madison
The President needs a remedial course in judicial review.

President Obama is a former president of the Harvard Law Review and famously taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago. But did he somehow not teach the historic case of Marbury v. Madison?

That's a fair question after Mr. Obama's astonishing remarks on Monday at the White House when he ruminated for the first time in public on the Supreme Court's recent ObamaCare deliberations. "I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," he declared.

Presidents are paid to be confident about their own laws, but what's up with that "unprecedented"? In Marbury in 1803, Chief Justice John Marshall laid down the doctrine of judicial review. In the 209 years since, the Supreme Court has invalidated part or all of countless laws on grounds that they violated the Constitution. All of those laws were passed by a "democratically elected" legislature of some kind, either Congress or in one of the states. And no doubt many of them were passed by "strong" majorities.

As it happens, probably stronger majorities than passed the Affordable Care Act. Readers may recall that the law was dragooned through a reluctant Senate without a single GOP vote and barely the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster. Despite a huge Democratic majority in the House, it passed by only 219-212.

One reason the law may be overturned is because it was rushed through Congress without a standard "severability" clause that says that the rest of the law stands if one part is judged unconstitutional. Congress jammed it into law because it became ever more unpopular the more the public looked at it. The law is even less popular today than it was on the day it passed in 2010.

Mr. Obama's remarks suggest he is joining others on the left in warning the Justices that they will pay a political price if they dare to overturn even part of the law. As he runs for re-election, Mr. Obama's inner community organizer seems to be winning out over the law professor.

A version of this article appeared April 3, 2012, on page A14 in some U.S. editions of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Obama vs. Marbury v. Madison.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304023504577320013259347408.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_AboveLEFTTop

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colin Powell

You mean this Colin Powell?

October 19, 2008
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."
"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Powell said he has some concerns about the direction of the Republican Party, adding that it has "moved more to the right than I would like to see it." Read a transcript of Powell's remarks

In regard to the financial crisis, which Powell called the candidates' "final exam," Powell said McCain appeared unsteady in dealing with it, while Obama had excelled in handling the situation."Obama displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge," Powell said.
"He has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president," he said

Latest posts

Top Bottom