Official Random Photo Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took them. I should have listened to "someone else" and swapped to the low light lens. Those pan shots are fun, especially at night with a relatively slow shutter speed.

Great shot, I'm a bg fan of long exposure/low light type shots. Great pans on cars, bummer on the bike...

I'm on my phone, do you mind posting exif data? Also, when you talk about a low light lens, what kind of lens do ypu mean?

Edit to add: how did you post process the shots? Would you mind emailing me the RAW file? Id like to play with the levels on the shots...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
On the bike shot, f/5.6 shutter 1/10sec ISO-2000 FL 100mm

If I'm remembering right, the lens was a Canon EF 28-135... I'd have to look up the exact lens.

The "low light" is a fixed 50mm f/1.8 lens. I went with the 28-135 because I wanted to be able to adjust the zoom to fit the subject to the frame better. I also use it to focus better.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a nikon fixed 50 with a large max aperture (1.8 or 1.6 can't remember). Great lens for portraits and low light. Being a fixed length does make it hard to "compose on the fly", and you have to watch the depth of focus getting too shallow with large aperture (small f/#)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a nikon fixed 50 with a large max aperture (1.8 or 1.6 can't remember). Great lens for portraits and low light. Being a fixed length does make it hard to "compose on the fly", and you have to watch the depth of focus getting too shallow with large aperture (small f/#)

Yup, you can get the light right, but the depth of field is so shallow doing a pan shot like the above is impossible.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one more for today...

this is from a dualsport ride down in Clayton OK. camped Wed - Fri nights.

if i remember right, this was with a 18-135 lens, at either 20 or 30 seconds (can't remember) and i set off the shutter with a remote trigger, walked over behind the tent, lit it up with a flashlight from behind, and then walked back out of the frame.

Taken sometime around 11pm, maybe closer to midnight.

[Broken External Image]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
one more for today...

this is from a dualsport ride down in Clayton OK. camped Wed - Fri nights.

if i remember right, this was with a 18-135 lens, at either 20 or 30 seconds (can't remember) and i set off the shutter with a remote trigger, walked over behind the tent, lit it up with a flashlight from behind, and then walked back out of the frame.

Taken sometime around 11pm, maybe closer to midnight.

[Broken External Image]

That's really stinkin cool!

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey thanks!

I shot it with a 7D that we bought up here at work just a few weeks before, and the first time i used the camera (or any DSLR in several years) was earlier that day. I've got a few other night shots from that same night... i think one is cool where the light is shooting through the trees... its from a campground up the hill maybe 1/8th mile away or so...

Theres not that much interesting to the picture, but i love the light in the trees. Again, somewhere around a 30sec shot, same lens, close to midnight. It was so dark out that you had to use a flashlight to see where you were going. The light behind the trees was minimal.

The guy standing there in the red shirt is waiting on his lasagna to finish cooking. They had brought a portable 1kw Honda genset, and were running a tiny microwave... lol.

[Broken External Image]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
hey thanks!

I shot it with a 7D that we bought up here at work just a few weeks before, and the first time i used the camera (or any DSLR in several years) was earlier that day. I've got a few other night shots from that same night... i think one is cool where the light is shooting through the trees... its from a campground up the hill maybe 1/8th mile away or so...

Theres not that much interesting to the picture, but i love the light in the trees. Again, somewhere around a 30sec shot, same lens, close to midnight. It was so dark out that you had to use a flashlight to see where you were going. The light behind the trees was minimal.

The guy standing there in the red shirt is waiting on his lasagna to finish cooking. They had brought a portable 1kw Honda genset, and were running a tiny microwave... lol.

[Broken External Image]

Sometimes though, those are the best. I think that pictures pretty neat too. Since there's no defined "subject" to the picture, the picture itself is either interesting or not. And that one qualifies as good!

Latest posts

Top Bottom