OGE smart hours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only issue is it takes till late in the evening to cool the house down to 75 again. Is it my unit or does it take everybody 4-5 hours to get back to a decent temp?

Mine goes from 80 down to 76 degrees in about 20-30 minutes 1.25 hours. Brand new 14.5 SEER A/C unit with an upgraded (oversize?) coil that bumps it to 16 SEER. Not a heat pump. :nolike:

Edit: I edited my cool down time. I checked it this evening and reprogrammed my t-stat accordingly.

Last edited:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours is a 15 seer heat pump in our new home and we upped the attic insulation to R-50. We turn the builder supplied non programmable T-Stat from 78 where we usually keep it up to 80 at 2pm then back to 78 at 7pm. ONG ran a line into the addition after we built our home but we've decided not to sign up to a utility where they charge from $13 to 25/mo even if you don't use any of their product. So far our heat pump has never lit the heat strips in the the two years we've lived here. The highest winter bill has been $150 (also the highest summer bill). (2200 sf home)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only issue is it takes till late in the evening to cool the house down to 75 again. Is it my unit or does it take everybody 4-5 hours to get back to a decent temp?

Yeah, I can see this being an issue here too. Still, if I cut out everything and put it up on 78 (which is comfortable to me) since GC is working swing shifts through this summer maybe I could save some moo-lah ... If he was working days or hoots, it'd NEVER fly ... :nolike:

The more I think about it the more I think I will call them here in a bit ...

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I don't mind the thermostat at all. Was an upgrade from the cheap digital non programmable I had. It is highly programable. A days like today when I get volunteered to stay home with a sick kid I just override it to keep it cool. Wish me luck

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ceiling fans make a big difference helping keep things cooled down when the t-stat is set higher. I signed up but didn't take their t-stat as I already had one I could program. It's nice to know the cost of a kwh the day before, I can bump up the setting if I want or leave it as is programmed. I sure don't have it set for 80 at any time though, that's a bit much.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Aviator, What do you not like about your heat pump? I have had one for three years and have had good luck and use very little ONG in winter.

Ours seems to really struggle on warm days, and cold days. In Oklahoma that's about all we get. When it gets up above 90, the compressor seems to always be going, unless we shut it off and let the temp rise in the house. It can take over 2 hours to drop the temp in the house from 86 to 76.

In the winter, when the temp drops below 20 the emergency source (electric) kicks in. We've not had a year yet where it hasn't kicked on. we can always tell it has because it makes the house stink the first time it kicks on.

It just seems like it's always running, always playing catch up. This is a fairly new house (built in 08), and the heat pump is a 18 SEER unit I believe. We actually bumped it up from what the builder wanted to put in. We've upped the insulation in the attic (no sure to what R value) to no avail.

We have it checked twice a year (beginning of summer and winter) and it always gets a clean bill of health. it just has a hard time warming and cooling our 2200sf one story house.

Last edited:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've not had a year yet where it hasn't kicked on. we can always tell it has because it makes the house stink the first time it kicks on

We figured out that on our t-stat in the winter if we raise the temp by more than 2° the heat strips will start. So now when we get up my wife bumps it by 2 then when the heat pump shuts off we bump it another 1° or 2°. Also the T-Stat lights a green LED when the strips light off. Just keeping that LED off is the goal in the winter.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We signed up again this year, we thought we saved a lot last year.

When we had our roof redone this past Fall, from last year's hail storm, we had the roofer install Cobra ridge vent.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Products/Roof_Vents/Cobra_Rigid_Vent_3

2-3 feet of that is about the equivalent venting area as 1 of those small static vents that most builders use. It has made a huge difference in how comfortable our house is.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was installed in our home by the previous owners. They felt like it was a big savings for them. So far, I haven't seen a bill yet, but I am getting used to the programming, and the awareness of peak time, etc. The manual is a little confusing, but I think it will be worth the effort. We have been in this house about a month. (closed on May 20, and then spent our 44th anniversary on May 31 in our shelter in the garage floor)

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't feasibly do it. I get home at 4 and cook dinner, watch TV, etc. I just use the average monthly billing option so I don't get any big surprises in the summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom