Oklahoma puts more women in prison than any other place on the globe ...40% for Drugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can't believe the attitude in this thread so far...
must be the normal mind-set in Oklahoma.

when 40% of the women prison population in OK are for drugs... don't you see something wrong?

drugs addicts are going to do drugs ... NO matter what the penalty or consequence. for a true addict, the minute they get let out of prison, odds are they are going right back to drugs.

in thread below a female gets life in prison for drug use... that's right for simple drug use, life in prison without parole .... what a waste of our public resources!!!

at the last OSA, GTG ... had a conversation with an OSA member who happens to be a prosecutor.... He agreed that his office sees a LOT of females.... my question to him was the same... with Oklahoma locking up more women than anywhere in the WORLD..... don't you think something is broken?

something about punishment should fit the crime comes to mind!!!!

---------------------

Life Sentence for 6.5 gram Crack... Is this stupid and a waste of resources or what?

Murders, Armed Robbers and Rapist get less time than that...

----------------

Female inmate wants sentence reduced

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleima...vereux0109.jpg

Sheila Devereux: Because this was her third conviction for drug possession, she received a life sentence under Oklahoma's "three-strikes law."

Published: 1/9/2011 2:31 AM

A woman asking to have her life sentence modified because her case involves indicted police officers has hit a road block in her effort to be freed, a Tulsa World investigation shows.

Sheila Devereux, 47, has asked Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris to review her case, which involved a 2005 conviction for drug trafficking.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110194

Quit Using Drugs.

Whats wrong with women in prison? You never saw Caged Heat?????

Don't break the law and you don't go to jail.

I must be weird because I only have sympathy for wrongful convictions.

Doing illegal drugs gets you time in the legal system. And I dont do drugs and dont have those problems, funny how that works huh? lol

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are we giving felony convictions for possession of drug paraphernalia and drug residue?

And if they just give them "drug court", they have to go for tests 3 days a week and pay $200 each week. What non-addict can afford that cost and that much time off from work and still have a transportation? They set them up for failure.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is is 'drugs' or marijuana? Not to re-open the old thread, but going to jail for weed is stupid. Talk about a victimless crime. Imagine the money we could save by legalizing it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell that to my:

Acute Athritis of the ankle (left)
75% disability in my right knee (right), 30% in the left
Remissive Caner
low self esteem
depressive, repetitive work life surrounded by miscreants who would rather chit chat than do substantial work.

I need my drugas, specially when the distilled drink of the barley just aint cuttin it.

Dude, I had no idea you were a remissive Caner.
Why fight it, go ahead and cane whomever you want... don't supress your freaky desires, it's a free country.
Besides, it might help you to overshadow that low self esteem thing while you're doing it.

[Broken External Image]

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate news based upon the manipulation of statistical data. What are the raw numbers and how do they compare with other states? Are women being sentenced harsher then men? Doubt it.

Granted, it still ends with a bunch of women in prison, but all for Felony convictions. So, it's not like the cops are rounding up hippies for smoking marijuana and sending them off to prison.

The women headed from County jail into DOC that I cross paths with in my ER all seem to have a pretty consistent path of serial convictions, drug court and rehab failures and their sentences seem appropriate for the convictions.

Besides- it's difficult to treat addiction. Failure rates make it unfeasible to send them back for more unlesss they're wealthy and can pay for their own(still doesn't work most of the time). And the bottom line is-

Do we let people off the hook after being convicted for a crime just because our incarceration rate is newsworthy?

Ask the homeowner that got robbed by addicts, the grandparents and foster parents that care for neglected, abused and abandoned kids, the ranchers that have to guard their barns and anhydrous ammonia tanks, the defrauded businesses, etc.. The cost of all of their expenses, both financial and emotional has to be addressed when considering the plight of those poor Oklahoma women in prison.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it would be a better place if all of the durggies were locked up

There is not enough room to lock up all the people with drug addictions. Are you going to include those that stay off the police radar by abusing their prescription medications? Or are you going to limit it to those that buy their drugs out of cars on the street and look like drug abusers?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sharp says the imprisonment of women is due in part to the state's culture and history, including a wide conservative streak that favors retributive justice.

I don't know what's "conservative" about imprisoning people for a personal lifestyle choice, and I damn sure don't know what's "conservative" about wasting the holy hell out of billions upon billions of dollars just to hold your moral high ground over society's head. :anyone:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't break the law and you don't go to jail.

Pretty much the way I see it too. I'm still mixed on the issue of drug legalization but it looks as though the women with life convictions are in for drug traffic. Using it is one thing but knowing dealing in it is a different issue.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the woman drug addict above was part of drug traffic to feed her habit

that above is true and she was convicted of a third felony was never in question. it's the severity of the punishment that results in Ok having the highest number of women in prison in the WORLD that I question.

how in the world can ANYONE justify locking someone up for life without parole for drug use? repeat ARMED robbery thugs that shoot people get less than this.

In NO way shape or form does the punishment fit the crime.
all it does is fill Oklahoma prisons. this goes for men and women.

Life without parole should be reserved for repeat violent offenders, murders and/or for crimes of equal magnitude.

prohibition against drugs after 25+ years of war on drugs and thousands folks locked up... $$billions spent, tens of thousands of man hours fighting it.... yet the exact percentage of drug addicts remains the same. If this is not proof prohibition against drugs doesn't work? what does?

there are NO easy answers to this problem... but other states and countries are managing to handle it without locking the number of women Okla does.

wonder how much of this is driven by private for profit prisons in Oklahoma?

Pretty much the way I see it too. I'm still mixed on the issue of drug legalization but it looks as though the women with life convictions are in for drug traffic. Using it is one thing but knowing dealing in it is a different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom