Oklahoma's best fried chicken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid we could see the lights of Okarche 15 miles away through our kitchen window. When I was a young adult Eischen's was a bar that served a little food. I had chicken there before it was famous for chicken. Then it was known for having the oldest bar counter in Oklahoma. Most of the place was their grocery store. I actually heard women talking about not going there for food because they also ran a bar.

The Tower Cafe was more known as an eating place in the late seventies and early eighties.

The chicken started catching on and they closed the store and made more bar space. It was a small bar before that.

If you go out to Okarche you should check out Stroh's Surplus too.

If you like Eischen's you should call the order in and get it as take out. One of the reason's for the wait inside is the number of carry out orders that goes out before they serve you at the table.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what makes Eischen's so great is the entire Eischen's experience. Drinking a pitcher of beer all to yourself with your friends while waiting on seats to open. By the time they do open, you're pretty smacked up and ready for greasy fried chicken. There's an odd charm about Eischen's that I like so much. As far as their chicken, it's just ordinary fried chicken. It's fantastic for just plain fried chicken, but it's nothing unqiue.

Bobo's is unique, but is apples to oranges compared to Eischen's.

Toss me into the Wal-Mart hater group, but surprisingly, they have really good fried chicken.

For fast food chicken, I really like Bush's in Texas. I wish they'd get them up here. Their seasoning bottles on the tables are fantastic. Plus, unlike Church's and KFC, but just like Chicken Express, their 2-3 piece combo meals allow you to pick your own pieces of chicken, rather than being forced to choose between 1 white and 1/2 dark meat peices.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that Bobo's is great. (Get it with honey.)

If you're searching for good chicken, try Railhead BBQ on Douglas north of Waterloo in far NE Edmond (actually, far SE Logan Co.). Also, try Harrison's Chicken House in Guthrie. Harrison's can be hit or miss on service, though.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surprised nobody's mentioned Jim Fried Chicken out on NE 23 / Nicoma Park. They're still using Jims 40 year old recipe and it still tastes as good as when he made it.

Last edited:

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear nobody's mentioned Jim Fried Chicken out on NE 23 / Nicoma Park. They're still using Jims 40 year old recipe and it still tastes as good as when he made it.

I thought that place shut down. Wasn't that the chicken stand right by where Warren's Nursery used to be? On the other side of Warren's from the 50's Cafe?

Latest posts

Top Bottom