old timer sayings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old customer of mine would always want to meet at his farm early in the morning. One day I was a few minutes late and he said:
“ ….. you can’t soar with the eagles during the day, if you stay up late and hoot with the hoot owls at night”
A guy I used to know said "eagles may soar, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet intake."

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“He lies about everything just to keep in practice.”; “It’s as plain to see as a black cat in a coal bin.”;
“ Enough is too much!”; “That boy just stepped knee deep in s#%t!.” “Dumb as a stump.” “Older than dirt.”; “No need to hurry; hell ain’t half full yet.”; “Every silver cloud has a dark lining.”; “People who live in stone houses shouldn’t throw glass.”; “ She looks pretty, but she’s got more quills than a porcupine.”; “ It’s always later than you think.”; “If his brains were dynamite, he couldn’t blast an ant off a BB.”; “ If you mess with the bull, you’re going to get the horn.”; and when I was a toddler that got into things in the house that I shouldn’t, my Grandpa would boom out, “ GOOD NIGHT, ELIZABETH!” (Grandma’s name was Elizabeth…. God rest her soul.).

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My folks had a lot of old sayings, and all of them turned out to be true!! One of my dads favorites was, after raising two families, his four boys, honorable men all, and his younger brothers and sisters, after his dad died in 1934, in the middle of the great depression, when he was 15 years old! " If anyone needs advice raising kids, ask someone that has never raised any!" Ant that the truth?

Latest posts

Top Bottom