Opinion On Roofing Job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do as much of your communication with him from now on by email. It's VERY convenient to print out those emails as evidence. Also start keeping a dedicated journal of your interactions with him or anyone else from the company.

Again, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.
You are correct in an audit trail. He doesn't like to email, he'd rather have a phone call but I do the emails.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

sushi & pistols said that there were thigns I coldn't see from the ground so I went out today and zoomed in on the ridge line and took a photo. They started at opposite ends of the ridgeline and worked their waty to the center and this is the completed job.​

On a straight run starting at opposite ends and ending in the middle is a fairly common practice.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sad thing is, he was on Angi’s list. I thought those people were vetted. I’ve roofed begote and I’m what could be called an amateur and my work was better thsn this guy.
All I've ever had from people on Angi's list is overpriced grief

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a straight run starting at opposite ends and ending in the middle is a fairly common practice.
This… it is indeed a fairly common practice to start at the ends and then finish in the middle with a cap type shingle and seal the exposed nails.

As to your concerns about the ugly caulking where the shingles meet the fascia…. Well it’s honestly just superficial and doesn’t really mean a damn thing about the actual function of the roof. When they tear the old shingles out from under its common for the facia to take some damage and kind of look like hell.

I’ve been in residential construction for over a decade and was a project manager for a roofing company for a couple years. At the end of the day 90% of the time it’s illegal immigrants often from Honduras or Guatemala who are actually up there doing the hands on work. You think they give a damn? I don’t care whichever Chad in a lifted 4x4 sold you the roof, he ain’t the one actually installing it.

Most of the installers come and go, traveling back and forth between different US states and occasionally spending time back home in South America as well. The local roofing contractors generally take whoever crew they can get who carries insurance and comp and will knock the jobs out. Concerns like how smooth the caulking looks fall far down the priority list

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This… it is indeed a fairly common practice to start at the ends and then finish in the middle with a cap type shingle and seal the exposed nails.

As to your concerns about the ugly caulking where the shingles meet the fascia…. Well it’s honestly just superficial and doesn’t really mean a damn thing about the actual function of the roof. When they tear the old shingles out from under its common for the facia to take some damage and kind of look like hell.

I’ve been in residential construction for over a decade and was a project manager for a roofing company for a couple years. At the end of the day 90% of the time it’s illegal immigrants often from Honduras or Guatemala who are actually up there doing the hands on work. You think they give a damn? I don’t care whichever Chad in a lifted 4x4 sold you the roof, he ain’t the one actually installing it.

Most of the installers come and go, traveling back and forth between different US states and occasionally spending time back home in South America as well. The local roofing contractors generally take whoever crew they can get who carries insurance and comp and will knock the jobs out. Concerns like how smooth the caulking looks fall far down the priority list
I've been in construction for 50 years and never saw that. At very least it looks like crap, and as mentioned earlier shows a give a shat attitude. The guys who did mine were all Hispanic and they did a great job. I've known a lot of stone workers from the same regions and they were skilled, hard, workers.

With that in mind there are rots in every barrel.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it's been a few years since we had a new roof put on, I have to say our experience was more in line with wolfman1's experience than Ready_Aim_Fire's.

Those guys had to remove EVERYTHING -- they ripped it all out (including the decking and the cedar shake shingles that were under the asphalt ones 😳), replaced it in record time and did a beautiful job.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my line of work, you would be surprised at how often I see roofing jobs not done correctly.
Sometimes it is the house builders fault, like leaving a 3 inch wide gap between the roof sheeting and the fascia board. But when the felt paper is not seen under the 1st layer of shingles, the roofers didn't do the job correctly.
I've even seen where there was no felt paper within a foot of the peak of the roof.
I've even seen where the guys nailed the shingles down and were purposely missing the nailer strip on the shingles. (That's why the shingles blew off in the wind).
There are a lot of roofing contractors out there that don't do a proper job on a house roof. And I could name at least 5 right here in Kay County.

ynotaz

Marksman
Reaction score
I owned a roofing company in Arizona. We had obligations to maintain our license, without which it was a felony to do any Constuction over $900 and suppliers wouldn't deal with you. We were required to do work according to Constuction standards and manufacturer's recommendations. An owner could file a complaint to our registrar of contractors, and we would have to satisfy the ROC or lose our license.

I did a quick search, turns out Oklahoma has the Oklahoma Construction Industry Board that Licenses roofers. I would give them a call to see how to complain about substandard work. Threatening the roofer's license is the most effective thing you could do.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So if I'm correct, you say this is the standard in the roofing industry and the consumer (me as well as others) need to get used to it and live with it because that's the work ethic of those slipping across our borders.
My opinion is, that if a job is worth doing, It's worth doing properly or not at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom