Out of State handgun purchases - private sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that if I want to buy a handgun from a person that lives out of state I have to have that gun shipped to a local FFL and have them run a 4473 before I can take possession of that handgun.

Well here's the question.
I am thinking about buying a handgun from a friend of mine that lives out of state, but he travels to OK frequently. Can he bring that handgun with him on his next trip, and walk into a local gun shop with me and have the paperwork processed?

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you need to process any paperwork at all? Does the state he reside in require paperwork for private sales?

Handguns cant be sold to Out of State residents without it being properly transfered (4473/NICS) to a local(buyers) FFL, this applies to private sales as well as dealer sales.

My question, is does that handgun have to be actually shipped, or can the seller travel to OK and deal directly with the buyer and FFL?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would treat it as a regular FTF transaction. Exchange money, shake hands, and continue on.
You would commit a Federal felony.

OP: I am not aware of anything that would prevent the seller from hand-delivering the pistol to the FFL. Your best bet is to call the FFL; if he's willing to do it, great. Many have...creative interpretations of the law, though, and will refuse to do things that are quite legal. Find one who will work with you and go for it.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the seller and the buyer are not residents of the same State then the sale must go through an FFL holder of the purchaser's State - to do otherwise would be to commit a felony.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can he bring that handgun with him on his next trip, and walk into a local gun shop with me and have the paperwork processed?

You bet....he is just bypassing the shipping charges. The local shop with ask for his DL to record who they received the gun from.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the seller and the buyer are not residents of the same State then the sale must go through an FFL holder of the purchaser's State - to do otherwise would be to commit a felony.

OK. Understood. But just curios. If the OP did not know this person and just bumped into him at a gun show in Tulsa. And made a transaction. Would not the OP be legal in the purchase? Are Okies required to verify the state of residence of folks at a gun show they buy from?

Latest posts

Top Bottom