Pear Tree!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a pear tree at our home for almost 30 years that put on pears like crazy. Unfortunately for us, deer love pears too. We would see them on their hind legs flailing the tree to get more to drop. We got our share and let them get theirs.
Unfortunately two years ago it got some sort of disease and died. Stump came out this spring.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love me some pears. The big old pear tree in the back yard is one thing I'm going to miss after we sell my folks' house.

We have a Bradford pear at work. It provides shade, but that's about all it's good for. Every few years it drops these nasty, sticky, useless dwarf fruits, so you have to take your vehicle to the car wash to get rid of them.

I almost forgot--Bradford pears are also really good at one other thing. Breaking in a high wind, or after an ice storm, or when they feel particularly pouty...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a pear tree in the back yard my entire childhood from about 6. I have no idea how many rotting pears I hauled to the curb. Grandma would come over occasionally and get some to put up and make pies with.

IDK what variety it was but it was different from the store bought variety, they were smaller and always quite hard regardless of ripeness. They tasted good though. It made way too many for us to use them all. Like really a lot too many. That tree died about 10 years ago. It was quite old I guess, it was there when mom & dad bought the house in the '60s. I do like the large, soft, juicy ones.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mom use to puree them and freeze whatever kind of pears we had and then spice them up and make fried pies out of them thru out the year and most people that ate them thought they was eating apple fried pies cause of how she spiced them up like apples, she always made sure i had fried pies of some sort on hand every weekend i went to visit.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love pears, so do cows, deer, squirrels, possum.

My pear tree is loaded down, at the moment. Soon as they begin to ripen, the squirrels will pick it clean, in a day.

My sister had a huge pear tree, at the corner of the carport. Pears would drop 40' and hit that tin. Pears all over the drive. Sister and B-i-L neither liked Pears.
We picked 8 bushels and made pear butter. B-i-L tried it and said, "well, shiite, i shouldn't have cut it down. That's good stuff."

Latest posts

Top Bottom