Pear Tree!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fruit guy but like a pear picked off a tree. I may hit you up to see about picking them off the ground to feed deer in a month or so.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a fruit guy but like a pear picked off a tree. I may hit you up to see about picking them off the ground to feed deer in a month or so.
If it's like at my place, the squirrels throw them at the deer and in the next few weeks they will all be gone. If the trees get too big the pears shrink in size. Keep them trimmed, mine are like 50 foot tall now and the fruit is golf ball size instead of store bought size.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have two neighbors with pear trees.

Neighbor 1's is super old, the base is over 1 foot in diameter and has had its share of troubles over the years.

The pears are more roundish and firm.
They generally let them fall to the ground.

Neighbor 2 has 2 she probably planted, close to the property line with us.

When we moved in I would see her take a kiddie swimming pool by the trees and toss the pears in and then drag it off to her woods.

I asked her about the pears one day, and she said they are no good.

I asker if I could have some, she said help your self.

I think both neighbors are nuts! Lol

I have ate and canned from both neighbors pear trees and they are great!

But figures the trees of neighbor 2 has not produced well for multiple years now.

And neighbor 1's tree sometimes is lacking! ☹️

Been thinking of asking the neighbore if I can take some cuttings to root and plant on my place

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's like at my place, the squirrels throw them at the deer and in the next few weeks they will all be gone. If the trees get too big the pears shrink in size. Keep them trimmed, mine are like 50 foot tall now and the fruit is golf ball size instead of store bought size.
Its usually not the size of the tree that determines the size of the fruit but the amount of fruit on the tree, if you have a large bumper crop they will be small the fewer the bigger, we us to go out and knock alot off out larger trees so we would get larger fruit.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have two neighbors with pear trees.

Neighbor 1's is super old, the base is over 1 foot in diameter and has had its share of troubles over the years.

The pears are more roundish and firm.
They generally let them fall to the ground.

Neighbor 2 has 2 she probably planted, close to the property line with us.

When we moved in I would see her take a kiddie swimming pool by the trees and toss the pears in and then drag it off to her woods.

I asked her about the pears one day, and she said they are no good.

I asker if I could have some, she said help your self.

I think both neighbors are nuts! Lol

I have ate and canned from both neighbors pear trees and they are great!

But figures the trees of neighbor 2 has not produced well for multiple years now.

And neighbor 1's tree sometimes is lacking! ☹️

Been thinking of asking the neighbore if I can take some cuttings to root and plant on my place
Look for small trees coming up under the trees from fallen fruits.

I dig up 10-15 pecan trees from under my trees, every year, to transplant and give to those wanting to plant.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 3 pear trees on my place that were there when we bought it 22 years ago. The "large" has too many limbs and only produces small fruit that dry up. I've begun taking it down for firewood.

Next to it are 2 pear trees that I don't know the variety but are the best I've ever had. They are yellow and the red. The side of the pear exposed to sun turns candy apple red. They'll hurt your teeth. However, I have to get them before the raccoons. If the coons get there first, it's as if the pears never existed. Usually about a week before they are ripe. This year the wind storms took them all down and the deer cleaned them up. I had a 3rd volunteer that didn't produce a single fruit after many years and is now fire/smoking wood.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dog ran a couple Deer off last night sniffing around my new found Pear Tree. Wired around it three strands hot wire, no elect yet just some streamers that will wiggle in the wind. They figure that out, the Solar Charger will be hooked up! I want a Pear off it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 3 pear trees on my place that were there when we bought it 22 years ago. The "large" has too many limbs and only produces small fruit that dry up. I've begun taking it down for firewood.

Next to it are 2 pear trees that I don't know the variety but are the best I've ever had. They are yellow and the red. The side of the pear exposed to sun turns candy apple red. They'll hurt your teeth. However, I have to get them before the raccoons. If the coons get there first, it's as if the pears never existed. Usually about a week before they are ripe. This year the wind storms took them all down and the deer cleaned them up. I had a 3rd volunteer that didn't produce a single fruit after many years and is now fire/smoking wood.

This one is a young tree. Hope to keep it many years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom