Pellet Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the charcoal snake in something like a Weber kettle? I haven't, but want to. I don't use my kettle near as much as I do my Weber gas grill. ...and I do have an Oklahoma Joe's offset stick burner when I feel up to it.
gallery-1464295794-snake-pan.jpg

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. ^^^

I don't like a super strong smoke flavor, and my neighbor's stickburner does 'em too strong for me. I've made dozens of meals for dozens of folks with my pellet smoker and every scrap gets snarfed up. Even when I'm not happy with the result for one reason or another, my guests are always raving. Personally, I don't need or want to have to babysit it all day, I've got other things I can be doing, and do them. My new thermometer allows me to monitor temperatures of anything I stick a probe in from anywhere in the world in primetime live. Works for me, works for my guests.

It's like building my guns and coloring the rollmarks, or hydrodipping or Cerakoting them. It's for me, not you. ;)

As for searing, I've got plenty of other methods to do that, and I don't typically do steaks on the pellet smoker...
I give your neighbor credit for trying to learn the tried and true way of smoking meat but if he's getting too much smoke flavor he needs some more guidance. As far as babysitting my offset and stoking it I bet you spend more time looking at your monitor and adjusting all your meat probes than I do checking my fire. Never used a meat probe on anything I've put on Old Black Betty and never will. If you don't understand the weather conditions and the looks and the feel of the meat then by all means use all the electronic gear ( electric smokers, I phones, apps, TV monitors, game cameras etc, etc )you can get your hands on. Anything you need to put a good product on the table. I'm sure there will be derogatory comments but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The End.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I give your neighbor credit for trying to learn the tried and true way of smoking meat but if he's getting too much smoke flavor he needs some more guidance. As far as babysitting my offset and stoking it I bet you spend more time looking at your monitor and adjusting all your meat probes than I do checking my fire. Never used a meat probe on anything I've put on Old Black Betty and never will. If you don't understand the weather conditions and the looks and the feel of the meat then by all means use all the electronic gear ( electric smokers, I phones, apps, TV monitors, game cameras etc, etc )you can get your hands on. Anything you need to put a good product on the table. I'm sure there will be derogatory comments but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The End.

Yeah, no, I don't adjust anything, hardly ever. I just like to monitor. And I'm a tech nerd. :D

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the charcoal snake in something like a Weber kettle? I haven't, but want to. I don't use my kettle near as much as I do my Weber gas grill. ...and I do have an Oklahoma Joe's offset stick burner when I feel up to it.
gallery-1464295794-snake-pan.jpg

I'd humbly recommend you check out the slow n sear. It's an awesome product. Well constructed and works amazingly well. I've done many smokes on it without running out of fuel. It's also pretty versatile, so using it as a grill works very well. Before i got my sous vide, i was using it three times a week to reverse sear everything from steaks to chops to chickens. Just place stuff on the indirect side, bring them up to temp and transfer them to the coal side and you're done.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slow n Sear FTW. Soooo many kettle owners making seriously good eats with that thing. You can also check out the Vortex for the kettle which opens up another world, too.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find this thread as amusing as the ones about Glocks and .45 Auto.

I have used every type of smoker from concrete blocks on an open pit to electric smokers, including stick burners and Weber kettles. You can turn out good food on anything if done properly. Some re more conducive to certain foods than others but you can make them work. It's not about right or wrong it's about your personal preference. I have enjoyed using all of them depending on my mood for that day (Sometimes taking multiple days).

I do find the vortex useful for certain things. As for the Slow and Sear, I used one once but find I can do the same thing with a couple fire bricks and a water pan so I never bought one.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually that is a UDC-based design, like the PBC, the Pit Barrel Cooker. They are exceptionally efficient, although keeping the temp low can be problematic. Seems like a lot of them settle around 275°F from what I've read.

Latest posts

Top Bottom