Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell us what happened with your first cook that wasn't optimal. Maybe we can help.
Anxious to try it out, I picked up a package of chicken legs, bologna and kielbasa.

I used the preset function of "high smoke" which is 220 or 225. The chicken needed more time than I had or raise the temperature. I raised the temperature to 275 until the chicken was 170 internal temperature, then lowered the temp back to 225 (this part I love about the pellet smoker) for the bologna and sausage. The chicken was just olive oil & rub seasoned and was okay, not great. After I ate, I removed the bologna and sausage and put the remaining chicken back on the grill for 30 minutes. The Kielbasa and bologna just tasted like cooked not smoked. The twice cooked chicken was pretty good. I used pecan pellets.

I picked up an A Maze N smoke tube and plan to use hickory in it next time to add more and stronger smoke. I have high hopes for it, but the first (hurried) experience was sub par.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done good chicken at 220 but it takes some minding. Just a month ago I smoked some chicken 1/4s on my Weber kettle with lump and they were very good. They were cooked ar about 250 because i had trouble getting the temperature where i wanted it & 250 was the most stable I could get. I like the kettle but just haven't taken the time to master it.

Just picked up some hickory & competition blend to use in the tube. I bought pecan initially because it is my favorite in an offset, but pecan can be mild. I'm going to use the pecan for fuel and the hickory for added smoke.

Just as learning to use a large offset to good results I'm hopeful we will like the pellet smoker, but I have some things to learn. The upside is how easy it is.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Skin off?
No. Skin always on when slow cooking. Cover with olive oil and rub of choice, or melted butter & garlic powder applied frequently, or either of these with onion & limes in the cavity sitting on a can of citrus juice of your joice. Spritz with apple cider vinegar frequently.

Chicken is great because it hard to scew up as long as you don't dry it out.

My BBQ expert friend says to spatchcock the chicken and dry brine it in the frig overnight with kosher salt before smoking. Haven't tried it yet but will soon.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Skin always on when slow cooking. Cover with olive oil and rub of choice, or melted butter & garlic powder applied frequently, or either of these with onion & limes in the cavity sitting on a can of citrus juice of your joice. Spritz with apple cider vinegar frequently.

Chicken is great because it hard to scew up as long as you don't dry it out.

My BBQ expert friend says to spatchcock the chicken and dry brine it in the frig overnight with kosher salt before smoking. Haven't tried it yet but will soon.

This is what I do, but cook at higher temp for crispy skin. Every time I've done chicken with skin on at LOWER temp, I end up with soggy skin. I eventually gave it up.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_8050.JPG

Got my Camp Chef today. Did a chicken tonight and by far the best skin I’ve had on a chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Top Bottom