Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You fill it with pellets and start it with a torch and set it inside the smoker. It will burn itself out after 2 hours unless you add more pellets to it. A 1/4 inch smoke ring is as much as your likely to ever see. Even the pros dont get more than that and they say meat only takes the smoke in for 4 hours but not sure if thats true.
I've come to understand two hours is the cutoff for smoke. Any more than that is a waste of your wood and time.

And for the other point on pellets. Lowes has Pit boss pellets for 10 bucks a bag. You have to watch some of the cheaper bulk pellets as they are hardwood with flavors added. Usually chemical.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've come to understand two hours is the cutoff for smoke. Any more than that is a waste of your wood and time.

And for the other point on pellets. Lowes has Pit boss pellets for 10 bucks a bag. You have to watch some of the cheaper bulk pellets as they are hardwood with flavors added. Usually chemical.
$10 a bag is a bargain!

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is the smoker I currently have. I was a gift and I've really enjoyed it. For those who want to give smoking a try, I would not hesitate to recommend this one. Everything I've made has turned out delicious and while it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a more expensive smoker, it gets the job done.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the smoker I currently have. I was a gift and I've really enjoyed it. For those who want to give smoking a try, I would not hesitate to recommend this one. Everything I've made has turned out delicious and while it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a more expensive smoker, it gets the job done.

Those will absolutely produce a decent product, I have a number of friends that have similar smokers. For the price it will let you see if you enjoy smokin', and enjoy some great product.

I was fortunate to find a used Cook Shack, I produced a lot of smoked meat on it that folks really enjoyed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an electric smoker.

There are also Cook Shack knock offs that can be had cheaper, I picked up a used Smokin Tex that was slightly larger, and every bit as good as the Cook Shack.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been following this thread. I've used an Okla Joe offset smoker and charcoal grill for years. Own a nice outdoor gas grill also. Never owned or know anything about pellet grills. Maybe one in my future.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread, cooked on a Green Mountain pellet grill last weekend, decent machine, I didn't take any thermometers with me other than the stick pen, it cooked hotter than the RecTeq when it was set on 225, my normal 12 hour brisket cook was done in 8.

I didn't find anything I didn't like about it, seems on par with the other commercially available units, metal seems thin.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that I would never join the pellet smoker crowd, but I did. A co-worker that is really in to smoking competitions and smokers, recommended Yoder, RecTec, or if going with the more economical units to look at Green Mountain and Camp Chef. I narrowed down my choice to a Camp Chef pg24xt at around $500, but then thought if I'm going to spend $500 why not get one of the better quality units and I'm sure I want to invest that much. Then, the local Atwoods had the same unit for $349, so I took it home. The deciding factor was when my wife said it looked simple enough that she would do some of the cooking.

After one use, I really liked how simple it is and look forward to using it a lot. However, there is going to be a learning curve to improve the outcome because my first experience wasn't that great. I picked up a smoking tube to add more smoke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom