Poll: Air vs Nitrogen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air or Nitrogen?

• Total voters

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
R12 is heavier than air man, it is all a farce, it does not harm the ozone 134 is much more dangerous.
Dupont had some incentives to rid the world of R12.
a short read below. I have thought about sticking some 12 in my newer car my 134 system see how she works then.

http://avidinvestments.com/Freon.html

Umm, it would probably work, but not very well, different orifice.

So what about that nitrogen in tires ....good idea or ...8/

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably would pass on nitrogen in ground vehicles. We use it in aircraft tires to keep moisture, and the freezing thereof at altitude, to a minimum, pressure fluctuations, and it has some effect on tire fires also as I understand.

On a car? Don't know if it's worth the cost, but it won't hurt anything.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use nitrogen because my dealership doesn't charge me since I bought my tires there and I think the hot/cold fluctuation is less which makes for more consistent handling. But if I had to pay for it I would probably just use air...

Artic-Z

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I run some of the gas chromatographic here at the University of Tulsa, sometimes when im bored or ill let the GC take a few samples of the atmosphere inside this special projects building. Our air we breath around here is 55% nitorgren and 44% o2 with some other misc traceable that we don't account for in petroleum GC's

that is at least what our gc says...these things are old as dirt so...take it at face value...

The more you know right....

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how do you get it to 100% nitrogen. Best I could tell you could only get it to around 90% or so unless you install the tire in a vacuum.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how do you get it to 100% nitrogen. Best I could tell you could only get it to around 90% or so unless you install the tire in a vacuum.

My thoughts exactly

How could you get all of the air out?
If you put a vacuum on the tire, it would suck it right off the rim.
I have seen them out nitrogen in, they seat the tire on the rim with air, then finish filling it with nitrogen.

I will keep my money to waste on precious metals... lead

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly

How could you get all of the air out?
If you put a vacuum on the tire, it would suck it right off the rim.
I have seen them out nitrogen in, they seat the tire on the rim with air, then finish filling it with nitrogen.

I will keep my money to waste on precious metals... lead

By purging. the nitrogen will displace the air. I would not be surprised if you could bet upwards of 98 or 99% purity. Of course that will use a lot of nitrogen that would be wasted.

As to the debate at hand. nitrogen filled tires are a waste outside of specialized environments. I used to fill my road race tires with it to better regulate pressure differentials between cold and hot tires.

Latest posts

Top Bottom