Poll on shotgun vs. handgun for home defense ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not know how you will react until you are in one of those situations.
Ain’t that the truth. Having never served in the military (med disqualification) I was well aware of this and always “hoped” I’d react accordingly. That was until about 5 years ago when I confronted three burglars breaking into my home. I was working from home that day which is when a LOT of burglaries occur and I’m sure they thought no one was there. I went to my room, grabbed a handgun and then confronted said hooligans of the “South of the Border” persuasion attempting to let themselves in the door. Upon my introducing to the trio and questioning their presence (not the words I used at the time) one of them shouted “holy **** he has a gun” and instantly all three scrambled like something you’d see in a comedic movie, attempting to jump fences as if their lives were somehow in danger 🙄. In any event about 5-10 minutes after their departure I got this big adrenaline rush that lasted for maybe 15 minutes. Reflecting on it all later that day I was surprised at how calm I was throughout the entire ordeal and how my pulse hadn’t even picked up a beat. Now will I react that same way if it were to happen again I guess I can’t really say for sure but I’m thankful for the experience and have no reason to think my response would be any different.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 24 years in the military, including enlisting during the war in Vietnam, and actually going to Desert Shield/Desert Storm. AKA Gulf War I. But I was a REMF/technician. No combat experience. Don't want any, either. But I also know that what you want has not one single thing to do with what you get. And I've been in enough non-combat situations that get the adrenalin pumping to know that I don't freeze. I do get the shakes afterwards. I'm told most people do. I have saved a life and prevented an assault on others. Short stint as a elementary school teacher...

I really prefer reading about adventure instead of experiencing it. ;)

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 24 years in the military, including enlisting during the war in Vietnam, and actually going to Desert Shield/Desert Storm. AKA Gulf War I. But I was a REMF/technician. No combat experience. Don't want any, either. But I also know that what you want has not one single thing to do with what you get. And I've been in enough non-combat situations that get the adrenalin pumping to know that I don't freeze. I do get the shakes afterwards. I'm told most people do. I have saved a life and prevented an assault on others. Short stint as a elementary school teacher...

I really prefer reading about adventure instead of experiencing it. ;)
May God bless you and keep you and yours safe. Thanks for your service in the middle east, that fight was and still is important. More so than Viet Nam, that was a mess we should not have been in and should have been allowed to finish it. I did a year there with the Cav. and worked law enforcement and security for a long time after. I was involved in a shooting later on and it still shook me enough that I did not know how many times I shot the guy.

Last edited:

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
A pump action M590 shotgun loaded with duck loads in what resides next to me while I just sit in my recliner..... and if I have on pants I am armed with my EDC. My nightstand weapon is a G19x with a light. Hope that helped....LOL...LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom