Possibly looking for a German Shepherd to adopt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This wasn't an accident.

Woke up, got her out of her crate, put her on the lease and took her directly outside. She promptly sat down in the grass and did nothing. After 5 monutes of standing there, urging her to go, I finally got tired, decided to take her back inside.

5 steps in the door, she decides to squat and pee.

I grab her up, carry her right back outside, she sits down and does nothing but chew on the leash for another 10 minutes.

Not an accident, she was holding it until she got back inside to piss on my f***ing carpet.

This was the reason I have refused to get a dog for 20 years. The Wife and The Boy have been asking for years. And now I remember why I have been refusing. :(

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to mention, there are as many opinions on how to deal with the dog as there are dog owners. Everyone insists their method is the best.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to walk him around and don't expect 5 minutes to be near long enough. After he goes outside a few times and you praise the heck out of him along with a treat as soon as he goes he will shortly get the idea.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to walk him around and don't expect 5 minutes to be near long enough. After he goes outside a few times and you praise the heck out of him along with a treat as soon as he goes he will shortly get the idea.

And this is different than other advice I've seen and gotten, some from highly reputable trainers. Lots of stuff out there. Just sayin'...

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trained mine by swatting him and saying no firmly when he tried to go inside. Worked fairly quickly. I’ve also been around dogs that were stubborn about it. It could seem like it’s never going to end and then they just all of the sudden get it. Two long walks a day really help too. Good luck. A puppy can wear you down for sure.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog pooped on the carpet once and peed on it once, and both times were right after she'd just gone outside to go potty. I blistered the paint on the wall behind her both times, and she hasn't done it since. I'm not particularly loud most of the time, but when I have to go into alpha mode, she gets the message, and usually the first time.

FWIW, I'd highly recommend the book The Art Of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047Y0FC8). They're known for raising German Shepherds, but it was tremendously helpful in training my dog (half Lab/half sneaky neighbor's dog), so I'd bet it'll help you. It was the book that taught me how to crate train her (which is the only way she gets to be inside unsupervised).

Latest posts

Top Bottom