Pre-ban Ivory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under Federal law, you can sell your Asian elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the Asian elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (July 1, 1975). This documentation could be in the form of a CITES pre-Convention certificate, a datable photo, a ...and
Age and legality of ivory revealed by carbon-14 dating can ..

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under Federal law, you can sell your Asian elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the Asian elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (July 1, 1975). This documentation could be in the form of a CITES pre-Convention certificate, a datable photo, a ...and
Age and legality of ivory revealed by carbon-14 dating can ..

I guess I should look it up but does this ban apply to raw ivory or carved ivory? Probably millions of pieces of pre ban carved elephant ivory in the US without any documentation.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how do you get the certificates? got a set of ivories on a 1935 Colt SAA and a sperm whale tooth that the scrimshaw says 1856
The colts been in the family 50-60 years and the tooth at least 30-40 years.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new Obama era law just changed the interstate sale of ivory. As far as difference between elephant, walrus and mammoth, you can tell difference if you own it.

If you are a wild life conservative, the US consumed less than 1% of African ivory at time of ban. The largest user, you guessed it, China and I promise they could give 2 craps about any ban.

Latest posts

Top Bottom