Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilance OKC

Marksman
Reaction score
I think building a gun collection is a process and changes as you learn. You buy your first gun usually based on what someone told you and maybe off some research you did and what you can afford. Then you start to train and practice and you start to realize what you like and don’t like. I started out swearing that every pistol should have a manual safety and a hammer. Now I own a bunch of striker carry guns with no manual safety.

The thing I’ve run up against is that your collection can start to pile up and you find you have guns that you just don’t use. I really enjoy cleaning firearms. It’s therapeutic and relaxing to me and I just like how things work and are engineered. As I pull out my unused guns for their regular cleaning and lube, the problem I start running up against is; should I sell some guns that I’m probably never going to use to finance guns I’m planning on purchasing? It’s just sitting in my safe and someone else could benefit from owning it.

I wouldn’t change what I’ve purchased or the process. Hindsight is 20/20 but you only know what you know. I don’t think the cost of the firearm always determines high end, functionality, reliability or “fun”. I have some less expensive guns that I love and shoot all the time. Many that I would rely on in life and death situations.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on high end vs. low end. Buy what you like and don’t regret it. Worst case, you can always sell it although I’ve never done that! Your other option is to buy more safes!

I would be curious if anyone else has wrestled with selling guns they just don’t use and probably won’t use anymore.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever wish you had just spent more upfront on really high end guns and owned less overall?

The problem is I only came to this conclusion after owning a lot of lower and mid grade guns. :doh:
I’m in the same camp. I have been in a 10+ year state of of buying a bunch of guns, and then consolidating to a few high quality guns. My first handgun was a llama 1911 in 9mm. 12 years later I’m carrying a Dan Wesson 1911. That being said, there are some great guns that don’t cost a lot. Ruger lcp max, marlin model 60, Henry 22 lever action… etc…etc.

bcp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
While I no longer have as many guns, after my gunsmith of many years passed on and it seemed to get more difficult to find quality gunsmiths, I started to purchase higher quality firearms that required little or no additional work.

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now days....your paying for a name that is mostly advertisement....saying how good they are or paying someone else to say it for you...

Hi-points always go bang....

Latest posts

Top Bottom