Question about expired can goods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a relative who passed not long ago and I am going to start cleaning out his house.

Ive seen MANY MANY cans of food in the house. And I know exp dates arent always 100%.

What can be done with expired can goods?

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of places which accept food donations won't accept expired best if used by dates. If its not horribly out of date use your judgment and decide if you want to eat it or give it to people you know.
It will be a hefty amount . IF I had hogs it would be worth it. But no such luck

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Canned food will last a long time AS LONG AS they were stored in climate controlled area (70-75 degrees or lower)

Best by dates refer to taste and texture, which most canned food you wont notice the difference between a 1 yo can and a 10 yo can

That being said, BPA leeching is a problem on older cans, from the lining in the can

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The taste and texture may not change much but the vitamin content will degrade over time. I might not throw it out but I wouldn't use any of it exclusively to eat over time unless I just absolutely had to. Mixing it in with fresh foods is probably the best plan if you are looking to not waste any of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom