Question about expired can goods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bears repeating ...
Yup, I was reading about antibiotic shelf life just this past week. I’m sure there are other medications that one should be cautious of using however the one they mentioned was I believe tetracycline or one of its derivatives. All other antibiotics were easily 95% effective 10-15 years past their expiration date.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, I was reading about antibiotic shelf life just this past week. I’m sure there are other medications that one should be cautious of using however the one they mentioned was I believe tetracycline or one of its derivatives. All other antibiotics were easily 95% effective 10-15 years past their expiration date.

Yeah, you HAVE to do your research and make sure the stuff you've put back is stored correctly but I've had more than a couple of instances where "hoarding" has saved my butt. Couple of years ago when I hurt my back the hospital sent me home after 48 hours and told me to just take tylenol until I could see my pain management doctor. Nobody had any power. Nothing was open. It was HORRIBLE. It's a good thing I had a few extra pills put back because it took me a couple of weeks to get seen by my doc. If I hadn't had that medication, and Grumpy hadn't been there to help me remember when I had taken what (poorly controlled pain does some really weird things to your head), I'd have drank myself to death. It was THAT bad.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, expired tetracycline can cause kidney failure

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think @Timmy59 has hogs, so he might be interested in free food for them. I might know someone interested, so I’ll ask them.
I asked, but he said it'd just be too much of an investment of time (basically, it'd take a full day, including travel time) that he doesn't have to spare.

Sounds like the donation box is going to be the best bet.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a relative who passed not long ago and I am going to start cleaning out his house.

Ive seen MANY MANY cans of food in the house. And I know exp dates arent always 100%.

What can be done with expired can goods?
IMO - if they are not swollen or rusting I wouldn't worry about it - might watch as you open/use to see if there is any type of corrosion inside the cans of acidic foods - but then I eat stuff out of the freezer that no one else would eat -- as far as I know I have never got sick from eating old stuff -- they say the russian military are eating rations that are over 50 years old

Latest posts

Top Bottom