Question about expired can goods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, and I haven't found anything to refute it, canned food shelf life is indefinite.

I know that back when I was in Basic Training, we were fed C-rats that were more than 20 years old. Didn't matter to me, in Basic I ate everything they put in front of me and wanted more.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The taste and texture may not change much but the vitamin content will degrade over time. I might not throw it out but I wouldn't use any of it exclusively to eat over time unless I just absolutely had to. Mixing it in with fresh foods is probably the best plan if you are looking to not waste any of it.
True but depends on its environment. Cans kept at 70 degrees or below have a nutritiona shelf life of decades. 80 degrees and above and canned food shelf life detiorates MUCH quicker. A can that spends the summer in a car is pretty much worthless by the end of the summer

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there is literally NO regulation on the dates on the cans. The FDA or USDA or whomever has basically left it up to the industry to self-regulate. That's why there is "best by", "sell by", "use by", "expiration" and all other terms you can think of. And none of them have a strict definition or relationship to product safety as far as I can tell.

It's like how there are expiration dates on bottles of water. Well, the water doesn't expire but the package does. In many cases that's the limitation. In others, the dates quoted might be because the manufacturer knows the quality will change over time. In others, the manufacturer just might hope you forget and then toss it when you see the date to sell more product. Yay for lack of regulation in this arena!

Side note --- same thing applies to prescriptions. IIRC, the VA has an ongoing study about efficacy past expiration dates and the results that I saw indicated 95% efficacy at 15 years past expiration. Take that however you want.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, and I haven't found anything to refute it, canned food shelf life is indefinite.

I know that back when I was in Basic Training, we were fed C-rats that were more than 20 years old. Didn't matter to me, in Basic I ate everything they put in front of me and wanted more.
Other than tomatoes I think this is really the correct answer. I’ve eaten things many years out of date without issues.

As for the roller grill at QT or OnCue. Good luck..🤮

Latest posts

Top Bottom