Question For Meatsmokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is pretty much equal parts Paprika, sugar, salt (mix of salt/Johnnie's seasoning salt)...half parts of chili powder, black pepper...1/4 parts of granulated garlic, onion powder, and cayenne depending on how hot I want to make it, or if I want it really hot have some Kickass powder.

I also prefer to use the turbinado sugar, doesn't cake as bad as brown sugar and has a good taste. It makes a great bark on pork butts.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brown Sugar, Head Country Rub, and Yeller mustard do the trick on anything pork. Brown sugar is the MOST IMPORTANT part when you smoke meat. Don't forget to score the thick meats, makes a huge difference.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this didn't go nearly as bad as the title might suggest. Some great rub combos here. And yes to brown sugar being needed, but that south TX style is good for a change.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents worth.
On ribs, just salt and pepper. Cook till done, then I put on some "glazing" that I mix up. 1/4 cup mustard, 1/4 cup brown sugar and some beer 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Mix till everything is dissolved and bring to a boil, barely, let cool. When the ribs are done brush the glaze on. I will look like it doesn't want to stick but that's ok. Brush it on and let sit/rest for a few minutes then eat. No leftovers.

I have tried several rubs on brisket and pork. Never have found one that makes me want to remember the
recipe. The best is a heavy coating of salt and pepper and cook till some of the brisket is "pullable" and some is "sliceable" Then eat with some kind of sauce on the side if you like.

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: Thought it was only fair to keep all in the loop. I thought brown sugar was crazy as some have said. I was torn so I did something blasphemous and am giving it a shot. I just want to try it.

Brown sugar, paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, celery seeds, white pepper, & ground mustard. I kind of blended the different suggestions. I will update late tonight or tomorrow.

The Hungry Hog.
Where the hogs come runnin'!
Owasso, OK.

I forget the address!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: Thought it was only fair to keep all in the loop. I thought brown sugar was crazy as some have said. I was torn so I did something blasphemous and am giving it a shot. I just want to try it.

Brown sugar, paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, celery seeds, white pepper, & ground mustard. I kind of blended the different suggestions. I will update late tonight or tomorrow.

The Hungry Hog.
Where the hogs come runnin'!
Owasso, OK.

I forget the address!

Got pics?

Latest posts

Top Bottom