Question for recent buyers of Hornady L-N-L AP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new 45 shell plate is #45, pretty easy not to get mixed up :)
I believe the old plate was a #1.

Definitely get a few extra primer tubes. Might even look into making a home made vibra prime out of a Lee Ez Prime (I think). There is a video on youtube. I hate loading primer tubes. Made mine for under $20.
I used the RCBS low primer warning and it works great. I also added the Dillon roller handle for a bit more comfort. Case feeder is nice also.
Ezject is the new improved system and you shouldn't see the old wire eject systems unless you are getting a used one or some very old stock (Ezject has been out for over a year).

Dennis what shell plate did you end up getting for .45 ACP. I've seen that there are issues with it and that there is a "correct" plate but have yet to sort out what the correct one is. Does it have a hornady #?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new 45 shell plate is #45, pretty easy not to get mixed up :)
I believe the old plate was a #1.

).

You beat me to it. Your correct. The old #1 plate let the finished round ride up too high and not get ejected. They corrected the issue with the #45. Mine has the new ezject,and it works really well.

I called them once for a technical question(the shell plate issue). I got their answering maching. It is halarious!:D I don't have the number here, but its worth the call just to listen to it:D:D

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry Larry not to hijack your thread but since theres a few folks that have some knowledge about these loaders I have a few questions myself:
I bought a L-n-L about 3 weeks ago, it is still in the box I need to buy a lot of stuff still. I have also never loaded any pistol rounds, will a regular pistol (9mm) die set work fine with this loader? To load a certiain caliber all you need is the shellplate and dies correct? What are some other things besides a bullet/case feeder I should buy?
Thanks,
Jake

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely pony up for a good digital scale, the $30 Frankford Arsenal scale aint gonna cut it. I got a RCBS for ~$100. Get the Berry's or Cabela's (same thing, but I think the Cabela's has a longer warranty) vibratory case cleaner and the sifter that's completely enclosed. Both these items are made by Berry's Mfg but Cabela's sell's it under their name. Get a few extra primer tubes for both large and small primers or which ever one you plan to use. You'll need a primer flipper, I use the RCBS for a few bucks.
I like the Hornady dies, plus you get free bullets with them. Don't forget extra bushings for each set of dies (for quick caliber change overs).
I spent $26 for the RCBS low primer buzzer, after you run out of primers a few times and get powder everywhere you'll appreciate it.
You'll need a bullet puller (kinetic is my preference), RCBS is another easy choice @ ~$15.
Don't be tempted by the Frankford Arsenal stuff, for the most part it's junk. However, I do like their corn cob media and case polish, but Nufinish and pet store stuff is a good alternative.
I also got a few extra parts for my LNL, mostly cheap things that would keep me out of commission if I lost or broke it. Like a shell plate spring for one, maybe a primer slide spring. Hornady has been excellent about advice and sending any broken/suspect parts totally on their dime. I also have a can of Hornady Cleaner/Lube which is a good protectant/lube for the shell plate (it will rust) and other moving parts. Hornady recommends it for the powder drop moving parts. Goes on wet and comes out dry.
The LNL will handle pretty much ANY caliber that I am aware of. I've loaded several thousand 9mm rounds and will be moving to .45 once I get my hands on some powder. I'm also totally geared up for .223 when I have the time to get setup.
Forgot tot add the powder cop die isn't a bad idea. As Shadowrider mentioned below I also have extra case activated powder drop for quick changeovers.

Sorry Larry not to hijack your thread but since theres a few folks that have some knowledge about these loaders I have a few questions myself:
I bought a L-n-L about 3 weeks ago, it is still in the box I need to buy a lot of stuff still. I have also never loaded any pistol rounds, will a regular pistol (9mm) die set work fine with this loader? To load a certiain caliber all you need is the shellplate and dies correct? What are some other things besides a bullet/case feeder I should buy?
Thanks,
Jake

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JC, I asked something about this press and my post went missing. Just be forewarned you may have to read it quickly.

But, yes your regular dies should work fine. But you have to use the lock-n-load bushings with any dies so make sure you have enough.
Other things to buy? Get an extra insert for your powder measure for each caliber. That way can have it pre-set. If you are using Hornady dies they will fit in the box with your dies. Just pop it into the measure and check a few, tweak as required. This feature along with the bushings make caliber changovers a snap.

Oh yea, get an extra quick change adapter for your powder measure too. You can pre-set this to be caliber specific too. Bottom line is if you get enough goodies, the thing that takes the longest when switching from one caliber to another is changing the shell plate. Once you have everything and it's all setup you can change calibers in about 2 minutes.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tul and Shadow, thx for the info. Also I have never loaded on a progressive press, when it deprimes/resizes the case, then goes right to priming it, do you not clean the primer pockets out before it gets primed? I always did this w/my single stage press.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With the wire ejector you had to use the hornady taper crimp die or crimp in station 4 leaving station 5 empty. I think the EZject system lets you use any die in station 5. I only clean the primer pockets when I load 308. I never even check them when loading pistol rounds.

I'll vote for the RCBS lock out die if you want a check die, the Hornady powder cop relies on you paying attention to the die, the RCBS will lock the press up and not allow you to continue if you have an empty case or a double charge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom