Rabbits for food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man ... I need pics of that watering system ... Actually would you mind if I came and "toured your facility"?? I'll bring bread ... and cookies ... and whatever else I need to bring to bribe you! :D That sounds like a GREAT set-up ...

I will get some pics tomorrow after I get back from cutting wood. You are welcome to come check it out I only have 8 holes right now.

-Did anyone mention Storey's Guide To Raising Rabbits? I have heard it is good but never read it myself.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the watering system I made. 20140214_172306.jpg 20140214_172227.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nic, I haven't read Storey's either. My dad raised rabbits when I was a kid. He was fond of telling us that he didn't have us because we were cute, he had us because we were cheap labor. The rabbits were one of my chores.

Thanks for the pics!! That's a nice set-up. I think I'm gonna try to build me a watering system like yours. I'll probably play 50 questions with you before it's all over, okay?? :anyone:

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nic, I haven't read Storey's either. My dad raised rabbits when I was a kid. He was fond of telling us that he didn't have us because we were cute, he had us because we were cheap labor. The rabbits were one of my chores.

Thanks for the pics!! That's a nice set-up. I think I'm gonna try to build me a watering system like yours. I'll probably play 50 questions with you before it's all over, okay?? :anyone:

Ha. Sounds about like my dad. After all the info I found on homesteading today I didn't feel the need for the book.

It is really pretty easy to build, cut some pvc, glue some fittings, drill the ice chest then silicone it up. You could even run it on a battery with a solar charger if electricity is an issue. I will gladly answer any questions you have.

-One thing I forgot to mention: In the summer you can shut off the end ball valve, unscrew the stainless hose for recirculating, then attach garden hose and it will auto fill and shut off. I'm not a fan of leaving garden hoses hooked up but it was my initial plan to have it auto fll.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha. Sounds about like my dad. After all the info I found on homesteading today I didn't feel the need for the book.

It is really pretty easy to build, cut some pvc, glue some fittings, drill the ice chest then silicone it up. You could even run it on a battery with a solar charger if electricity is an issue. I will gladly answer any questions you have.

-One thing I forgot to mention: In the summer you can shut off the end ball valve, unscrew the stainless hose for recirculating, then attach garden hose and it will auto fill and shut off. I'm not a fan of leaving garden hoses hooked up but it was my initial plan to have it auto fll.

I need to go over to homesteading today more ... Seems I spend all my time here, or in the backyard ... or cleaning house ... I think I joined over there (gotta check) but then kinda forgot about them. SB is so big I lurk there reading stuff all the friggin' time ...

OK, I'll holler at you when I get ready to do this ... I've got the ice chest and parts I can use in the garage ... just gotta gather a few other things up ... :woot:

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey BB!
What do the garage rabbits do for exercise? All the websites say to build a run or something and I'm just trying to set myself up for as little contact as possible for fear of attachment. Already looked can't do a giant hamster wheel :(

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey BB!
What do the garage rabbits do for exercise? All the websites say to build a run or something and I'm just trying to set myself up for as little contact as possible for fear of attachment. Already looked can't do a giant hamster wheel :(

The 2 cages in the garage were actually supposed to just be "sick beds" ... But the first doe I brought in because the other does were ganging up on her. Wouldn't let her eat, were beating up on her ... I have no doubt she would have died if I'd left her in the community pen. The second doe had ear mites and it was just easier to bring her in and keep her penned up where I could check her ear every day without having to chase her down. Now they are spoilt rotten!! :D

Rabbits really don't require much in the way of exercise. My dad kept all his rabbits in 30x36 pens their whole lives. I have my inside girls in a little bit bigger ones -- 36x36 ... and they really seem quite satisfied, even though they were raised in the colony. You can built a run for them, yes, but I really don't think it is necessary as far as a quality of life issue might go. Just give them something solid to sit on so they can get off the wire if they want to -- mine have a little plastic grid, as well as a small cardboard box filled with hay that they can sit in if they want to. The only time I see then in the boxes is if it is really cool, or "naptime" ... Most of the time they are stretched out like divas on the wire -- and these were rabbits that were raised off wire so if I think it if were uncomfortable I'd be seeing some signs of distress out of them.

It's not so bad to get attached to your mommas ... because you are gonna keep them a while. It's the babies you have to be careful of. In fact, the more tame the moms are (which means you are gonna have to spend time with them) the easier it is to care for them and the babies when they come, so keep that in mind.

I have seen rabbit condos but they look like they might be a bit of a bother to clean. I'm really starting to think that outside cages like Mitch, Nic and Dave have are the way to go for your breeding stock ... Just a lot less trouble all the way around. I can still see me using a colony style set up for my weaned babies while I'm getting them to butchering age ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom