Radar detectors? What you got?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have you actually taken it to court on an instant on radar speeding ticket and beat it?

Directly no, but it doesn't take much research to find that the instant on pop is still not a mature technology. From about 2 seconds of searching: http://www.007radardetectors.com/pop_radar.htm

There's quite a bit more too, the fact is if officers want it to stick they'll have to pace you probably as well. Of course this is factoring in that you will have to go to court, arguing with the officer on the side of the road that pop technology isn't admissible by itself isn't going to get you anywhere. Bottom line, speeding tickets are about revenue, they want you to pay the fine, whether you're paying in court, or paying without going to court. The points are usually irreverent.

I can't even say I've run across pop radar at this point. Think of the economics. Radar is cheap, POP radar approaches the cost of Laser. Would you rather buy 20 radar guns, versus 5 laser guns or 10 POP radar guns? Laser/POP is really only going after those you know have radar detectors, I'd say the majority of people do not, because of that you'd rather have the 20 cheap radar guns versus the more expensive pop or laser.

As for laser yes the optics of laser makes it very easy to pinpoint who is speeding and it is essentially instant on. However, as mentioned before laser in itself is very expensive. I have personally only ran up against laser twice, and the way the officer was utilizing it wasn't really playing to it's strengths.

Thus far everything that I have run up against in OK has been constant Ka. I have not noticed any laser or pop being used.

As to the argument of not getting a ticket if you go the speed limit, it certainly will help. But if you understand the dynamics of radar you will understand that radar will tell you that there is a car going a speed in the group, it DOES NOT tell you which one is. So if you're anywhere near the vicinity of another car speeding, you can potentially be given a ticket for speeding as the end decision of which car is speeding is left to the officer. Of course this only means anything if there is a group of cars, if there is only one car the decision isn't difficult to make.

As for pacing, ie mile markers and timing, there are inherit weaknesses for these tickets as well, but again you're not going to get anywhere on the side of the road arguing with the officer. The only place you will get anywhere is in court, and you have to make that decision to follow that through.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love how these threads always go this way... If you don't have anything to offer the OP I'm mostly sure nobody cares about how you feel about speeding.

I'm going to be in the minority on this, but I like Cobra products. They've always worked well when combined with some common sense driving practices. There isn't anything that will be fool proof but the range on the Cobra's that I've used is good and I like the display layout they use. The signal strength bars are my preference.

I have a base model cobra i got from pep boys. I've had it 4 years and its worked wonders. Usually it can detect radar long before i ever see a car. Its saved my bacon many a time and driving an ex-OHP car dont hurt either.......no one looks at me twice :)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.gifbin.com_bin_3204840swsw.gif

ai305.photobucket.com_albums_nn220_Grynox_forums_36efc1d2.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom