*RANT* DHS/Child Support Enforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the ones who will come on here and call you a POS dead beat dad for even thinking of making this thread. I feel your pain 100%, but I remember last time I brought this up everyone turned in to internet bullies.

Barsoom

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In my experence our child support cases are somewhere around 1 in 10 are female defendants.

Tax returns are not garnished unless there is back support of some type.

If the parent with custody gets certain types of welfare, the State can go after the other parent to get paid back for that tax payer supported welfare.

I've seen owed back support as high as $50,000.

Barsoom (A Lawyer from Missouri)

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the ones who will come on here and call you a POS dead beat dad for even thinking of making this thread. I feel your pain 100%, but I remember last time I brought this up everyone turned in to internet bullies.

Did you ever get your case reviewed, or any changes made?

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experence our child support cases are somewhere around 1 in 10 are female defendants.

Tax returns are not garnished unless there is back support of some type.

If the parent with custody gets certain types of welfare, the State can go after the other parent to get paid back for that tax payer supported welfare.

I've seen owed back support as high as $50,000.

Barsoom (A Lawyer from Missouri)

I'd like to know where it came from considering for ~8 months they took 200% of owed child support.

She has been at her job making good money longer than I have been at my current, buying a house and doing paperwork to get her now husband citizenship (who was here illegally) - if she managed to get state aid there is a problem.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I will say it, you are not "A POS for even thinking of this thread!!" :censored:

Oddly enough, I did an externship with DHS CSED In law school. Was interesting to say the lease. Anyone who does not fit in their fully automated system of click here and take money seems to rub them the wrong way. However, they are held to a series of rules and getting things changed can happen. You simply need to either know the rules or get a lawyer. Preferably both actually. I can say that many of the DHS cases are handled differently when the obligor has counsel.

Here is a good example. I had a CS hearing today at 1:30 in Cleveland County. Was called off at 10:00am finally when they decided to keep the offices closed. Yet another parent being ramrodded by DHS and the custodial parent. Odd thing is that my client is the mother though. Dad has been getting paid for kids he no longer even has in his home. Nice! I will get that fixed obviously. Also, there are a bunch of arrears owed or back child support. These arrears are not "state" funds which means they can be waived. :thumb: Next, you find some reason for the other side to want to waive those arrears. However, if these were state arrears, where money was owed to a custodial parent that had been receiving some sort of state assistance they can not waive the arrears. That sucks. :bigeye: All is not lost though because lots of people forget to include all of the mitigating factors to the support guidelines on the DHS website. Such as other kids in the home, nights overnight sometimes, etc.

Hope that sheds light. If not, call me. Feel free to pick my brain.

JJ

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you ever get your case reviewed, or any changes made?

They are taking their sweet time and now say I only owe a little over 1k instead of 7k. They can't recalculate until they finish this junk up. She even gave them an affidavit saying I am not behind on anything. Been almost a year now with very little progress.

Sorry Zombie, not trying to get off your topic.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I will say it, you are not "A POS for even thinking of this thread!!" :censored:

Oddly enough, I did an externship with DHS CSED In law school. Was interesting to say the lease. Anyone who does not fit in their fully automated system of click here and take money seems to rub them the wrong way. However, they are held to a series of rules and getting things changed can happen. You simply need to either know the rules or get a lawyer. Preferably both actually. I can say that many of the DHS cases are handled differently when the obligor has counsel.

Here is a good example. I had a CS hearing today at 1:30 in Cleveland County. Was called off at 10:00am finally when they decided to keep the offices closed. Yet another parent being ramrodded by DHS and the custodial parent. Odd thing is that my client is the mother though. Dad has been getting paid for kids he no longer even has in his home. Nice! I will get that fixed obviously. Also, there are a bunch of arrears owed or back child support. These arrears are not "state" funds which means they can be waived. :thumb: Next, you find some reason for the other side to want to waive those arrears. However, if these were state arrears, where money was owed to a custodial parent that had been receiving some sort of state assistance they can not waive the arrears. That sucks. :bigeye: All is not lost though because lots of people forget to include all of the mitigating factors to the support guidelines on the DHS website. Such as other kids in the home, nights overnight sometimes, etc.

Hope that sheds light. If not, call me. Feel free to pick my brain.

JJ

I am not surprised to see you posting. You have talked at length with me and know and have seen the paperwork on my situation. This was just the next step it seems. I may end up having to call you. I've gotten nowhere in all of this it seems. Regarding what we last spoke about with my son the 2 options we discussed got no traction as I hadn't gotten answers from her via text or phone calls.

I do love how when I had requested a review they turned me down by their suggestion, she requests they send me everything I filled it out and per the guidelines saw it would go down and nothing happened.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much if you're a divorced man with kids in Oklahoma the child support division believes you're a POS. The local office called me in three years ago saying I owed $120 in back support. Funny....because my checks had been garnished for the last 7 years. My ex-wife called them and informed them that in no way did I owe any back money. However they wouldn't take her word for it so I had to go up there and talk with them. Now, my support was either $xx per week or $xxx per month. So the child support division figured up how much per year and divided it by the weeks to come out with the weekly support sum. When I went up there the lady informed me that because my weekly amount (that they came up with) was lower than the stated weekly amount (from the court) that I wasn't paying the full amount and they were charging me interest on the unpaid amount.

I wanted to know how they could charge me for not paying the full amount when it was the sum that was decided upon by them. Her answer was "because you're not paying the full amount". I then asked her why they set it up that way if it was going to cost me money, her answer was "thats kinda the price you have to pay for having things done this way". So I said to her that basically in another couple of years I'll be back up here with you people saying I owe money that I don't owe...her answer "yeah, you just gotta go with the flow of things".

Needless to say I was about to blow a really big fuse so finally I told her screw it its not that much so I'll go ahead and pay it...she says that it'll have to be deducted on each check to the sum of about $3 a week. Well this happened once, then it quit. OKC found out about it and put an immediate stop to them charging me that extra money.

I now have custody of my daughter and I'm not making my ex pay anything mainly because I don't want to deal with any of those idiots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom