Recommend an outdoor revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ummmmmm, don't mean to hijack the thread but what makes the judge a flop? Have they not been selling just about everyone they can produce for about three years or so? I have no experience with one but I am awful curious. Do they fall apart or what? I know some people really hate Taurus and some people like them OK.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Shotshells are more effective in larger calibers, 44 and up.

Limiting yourself to 9x19 in a revo will limit you to very little choices.

My recommendation is a GP100, in 3" or 4" in stainless steel. They are built tough and can take a beating for a long time. Forget the shotshells and don't waste any capacity to them!

Good luck,

Alan

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO you're trying to ask too much of one gun and you're going to get a jack of all trades master of none. The performance in all areas will be mediocre at best.

I agree with this statement.

No one gun is gonna be perfect for every occassion. A Smith & Wesson J or K frame would come close, but I would recommend that you keep a good 12 gauge scattergun handy, with both slugs and bucksot for the "larger" critters you may encounter. ;)

That advice really goes for everybody. Remember guys...your sidearm/CC pistol is to just get you out of harm's way and to your REAL weapon - the long gun and/or shotgun.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a revolver to take with me during outdoor activities like camping, hiking, jogging, working in the yard, etc.

Here are my considerations:

--It needs to be fairly rugged and able to stand a little dust, dirt, sweat, and moisture (with proper cleaning and maintenance afterwards, of course.)

--Prefer something on the smaller and lighter side - easy to carry while working or jogging.

--Usage will be for self defense from people or large animals, plus snake and critter control with shot shells. My plan is to load 2 or 3 shot shells followed by real bullets.

--I prefer 9mm in order to keep my ammo standardized with my other handgun. I wonder about the 9mm shot shells though - whether they'll do a decent job on a snake.

Any recommendations for what I should be looking at?

I would recommend the S&W 640 in ss. It sounds like you will be carrying it more than shooting it.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ummmmmm, don't mean to hijack the thread but what makes the judge a flop? Have they not been selling just about everyone they can produce for about three years or so? I have no experience with one but I am awful curious. Do they fall apart or what? I know some people really hate Taurus and some people like them OK.

Shot one a month ago, and had the same opinion most have, that it's a gimick gun. It's not, depending on your application. It will never be a target gun, but inside 15 yards, its leathal. As it was designed. Tested 7 1/2, 4 shot 000 buck and slugs. When houge come out with a grip I'll buy one.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll echo what has already been said so far with this little addtion. Ruger made the Service Six and Security Six both in 9mm. Not too easy to find though. Also made a convertible Blackhawk. My personal gun for doing exactly what you describe with the same ammo config....couple shot shell handloads followed by 158gr hot loads is a stainless 4" Ruger .357 mag Security Six. Simple and roubust. Has ventilated more than a few serpents. A GP100 would do the same thing. My $.02. Any similar S&W would do the same. Just make sure it's easy to carry and fun enough to practice with so you'll get good with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom