Recommend an outdoor revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, by now you have heard a lot of opinions. You know how that is....mostly what each person, probably after much experimenting, has settled on for themselves. You are probably gonna have to handle many revolvers and make your own decision. The .357 in a stainless seems to be the one most mentioned. I even recommended that in an earlier post and I don't own a .357 Magnum. I have owned several and probably owe some of my hearing loss to shooting an M19 lots. For owning only one revolver, it's really hard to beat a .357 Mag. For me, it's just a least favorite caliber, but, you can bet...If I only owned one revolver it would be a .357 Mag or a .44 Mag. You can get them light or heavy, short or long, cheap or expensive. I prefer larger calibers with both light and heavy loads but not necessarily magnums. Up until recently I owned 4 Smiths (a J, K, L & N) Just the other day I talked a friend into letting me have back a favorite he had talked me out of some time back (S&W 696 .44 Special) so now I have two L frames. I also have a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt that I would carry into any woods in the country. The point I'm making is you have to decide what is right for you. To me, owning, and using, several different ones is part of what makes it enjoyable. I can decide whether I want to carry a lightweight J frame, an old standby stainless .38, a Scandium big bore, a fairly heavy stainless .44 Special, a fun .45 ACP revolver, or a big bruiser Stainless .45 Colt. They all get used lots. However...one of the most fun handguns I have ever owned now belongs to someone else (I needed the funds for my 696). It is one that many people here have derided as an option. It was a lightweight Taurus Judge with 3" barrel and 2.5" chamber. I'm here to tell you that .410 takes good care of the Copperheads at normal snake range. I'm not advocating the Judge as a true self defense handgun but for the woods it would work well. Mine was lightweight and easily carried -- very efficient on snakes with bird shot -- and extremely accurate with .45 Colt loads. With heavy woods loads it would be a handful, but no worse than many .357s. I probably will have one again some day down the way. Just plain fun!

Anyway, just handle and shoot as many different ones as you can and make your own decision. Trying to get someone to select a handgun for you is like trying to get someone else to select your girlfriend or wife. Have fun.

...practice, practice, practice..... That's right. Have fun.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'd say a s&W model 10

Best .38 money can buy. If you're looking for something a little lighter, a Model 12 is basically the same gun, only with a lightweight frame.

Practice a lot and you won't need shotshells you can blow the snakes head off with a hollow point!

Indeed. I've always considered shot shells to be a gimmick. Never had a problem dispatching a copperhead with a plain old .38

-S

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
you all are advising some fairly heavy iron for a packing gun. Yes they are optimal, but I wouldn't want to backpack a full lug, stainless steel gun, just because. A thin model 10 or 15 will work just as well without the weight, I personally would go with a .357 if going wheely, just for the extra ballistics.

A Ruger ** Six series gun would not weigh much, if any more than a comparable barrel length K-Frame. However, yes, the full lug 4" GP is heavy, but again, GET THE RIGHT LEATHER, and it's not too much to carry.

far as loading your cylinder with 1/2 shot and 1/2 fmj or whatever. I wouldn't but to each his own. if you run into a snake, load a shot shell, because if you run into a bg without a snake, that first shot should be something that does more than get his attention.

I'd agree.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be a S&W 686. My friend who served as a SEAL said it was the only gun they found that could be fired straight out of the surf. He told me sometimes it would be gritty but it always went bang.

there's a video somewhere of a Glock not only firing underwater, but cycling and firing the next round.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A single 9mm will probably never do everything you want it to. At least not satisfactorily. Get an airweight J frame, Kel-Tec or Kahr P series 9mm, or similar lightweight gun for jogging.

For hiking and outdoor activities, get a 629 Mountain Gun or a 329 PD. These revolvers will do 90% of whatever you could ask of them depending on the load and not be overly heavy. My 629 MG loaded with a Blazer shotshell and 5 Blazer .44 Spl 200gr Gold Dots barely weighs more than a K frame model 10.

bhp31

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
too hard/expensive to find a 9mm revolver....go with a taurus snubbie Model 85....i use mine for similar purposes as you are wanting to do...i.e. for snakeshot

Ack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. After reading everyone's posts I've decided to abandon the 9mm idea and the small-enough-to-jog-with idea. I'd like to go with a 357, stainless, 3 or 4 inch barrel. I need something that will handle snake shot well and can stand up the the elements. I like S&W but prefer something without the new locking mechanisms that they're putting on now.

Any final suggestions before I go out and buy something?

Latest posts

Top Bottom