Remember the diy auto shops?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
for example, when I was in the Marine Corps, there were several places around the base where you could go work on your car, lawn mower, motorcycle, or whatever. It was called the "hobby shop" if I remember correctly. Usually was a bunch of covered parking spots and such. You could pay $10 for 24 hours, or if you were a baller, you could rent one of the shop bays for $30 a day. There were tools available for rent, an oil disposal, as well as vices, hydraulic press, air compressors, etc, all available for you to rent as needed. I loved that place, and there were always 2 or 3 old civilian mechanics drinking coffee and bs'ing that were always eager to give you a hard time or lend you a word or two of advice. It was a great place for guys who didn't have tools, didn't have space, or just wanted to get away from the wife for a day and piddle around on the ol truck. Having recently moved into an apartment, and now needing to replace my wheel bearings and u joints on my truck, the need for a place like this has become painfully aparent.

Has any buddy seen anything like this in Oklahoma? You think it would be a viable business? Esp say, near tinker afb or a college?

Let's hear some thoughts and disgruntled opinions. I'm wanting to have a business plan to work towards starting in a few years, and I love this concept.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think nowadays those who can DIY have a place and the tools to do so. There were places like this in Ohio...they even had a paint booth you could rent.
I do like the idea but never used one. I got tools and a driveway. :)

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one in OKC was around Bricktown, and you're right, he didnt last to long, at that location. He was in a previous location for years, but closed down not long after the move. I have a friend that has something in the works. I'll let ya'll know if it pans out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had BBQ parties at my house in Spencer. I would cook BBQ and friends and
relatives could bring out all their cars to be worked on and everyone would join in on the fun.

Worked pretty well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom