Remember When We Played Army?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember When We Played Army?

by Rich Kimball

Do you remember when we played Army? You know, when we were 8 or 9 years old, immortal and full of Napoleonic plans of conquest.

We would go from house to house, gathering up our friends to meet at the playground or the woods. (calling out the Militia) Then, the alpha males of the group would sort out who would be on what side, based on their knowledge of everyone's abilities and personalities.

After much pissing and moaning, the two "armies" (more like platoons) would split-up and retreat to opposing areas, plotting attack strategies, building fighting positions, and stocking up on dirt clods for when the CO called for artillery.

There were no debates about should we be here, or why we were here. It was really simple. We were the Army, tasked with defending our country against all enemies, whether they be yellow-horde ChiComm's, Godless Russian commies, or Billy Johnson and his friends. We would kick their ass back across the DMZ, the river, or the other side of the construction site by dinnertime, no matter what the cost in men, material, or Chips Ahoy!

Sometimes, there would be the loner in the platoon that would sneak off to find cover from which to pick off the unwary enemy combatant. In our neighborhood, it was always Carlos. Carlos Hath something or other.

Then there was the kid who always floated an idea to trick the other side into thinking we were whipped. "Hey!" "Let's put up a t-shirt as a white flag and then nail 'em when they come close!" It was probably some stupid idea he got out of a book. he was always reading something. His favorite was some ART book, for Pete's sake!

At the end of the day, we would gather back together for a debriefing of the day's excercises and critique tactics and who brought the best snack. Then it was off to our homes, where Mom would be there with dinner ready, scolding us for getting so dirty, tending our shrapnel contused knee, and commending us for doing our duty and showing that rotten Billy Johnson what's what.

What does it mean for us today? Hell, I don't know. I'm just a grunt. You tell me.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids used to do this ... stayed outside all day long ... just had to be home by the time the floodlights came on in the evenings. They still talk about how much fun they had.

Me?? My brothers and sisters and I used to play cowboys and indians ... :rotflmao:

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My mom has pictures of me sleeping on the couch in full camo with my steel pot helmet on that I got at the Army Surplus and a bb gun across my chest. Been playing guns ever since.
Good times!!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like your reference to Charles Hathcock and Sun Tzu. Did you write this or did you find it somewhere? Either way, good post!

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to also have sticker fights. Gather'em with the stems stil on and run around throwing them at each other. BTW....In the summer we wore a pair of cut off jeans and a ball cap. There was no debate as to where you were hit or not. You would yelp and bleed and have one of your buddies vicious rip the damn thing out of your back. Those were the good times.

Now I feel like I need a medic if I happen to step on on one.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We used to also have sticker fights. Gather'em with the stems stil on and run around throwing them at each other. BTW....In the summer we wore a pair of cut off jeans and a ball cap. There was no debate as to where you were hit or not. You would yelp and bleed and have one of your buddies vicious rip the damn thing out of your back. Those were the good times.

Now I feel like I need a medic if I happen to step on on one.

lol nothing like running down your buddie to hit with 10 or 15 bunch of stickers in the middle of the back so its hard to reach its some funny stuff until somebody hits you in the face with some ha ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom