Remember When We Played Army?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We called it playing "guns" but that was how I spent HUNDREDS of hours growing up. Built forts out of firewood, used bottlerockets as grenades and lowcrawled through leaves & bushes for no good reason. My dad & my uncle even joined in a few battles when they were feeling froggy. Those were some of the best times ever - we always liked to fight our battles with water guns or those Zebra pellet guns that shot the little yellow plastic BBs. GOOD TIMES!

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize now why they call it the "formative years". I had an actual size government model 1911 rubber sucker dart gun that was my favorite. Felt right then, feels right now.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was lucky to have an very long and wide creekbed for me and my buds to play in. I spent an entire spring and summer building a bunker complex with a lookout tower and trenches. I was very proud of it. I had watched FMJ and was inspired to build a Vietnam style bunker complex.I constructed M60's from 2x4's and broom handles and mounted them in the machine gun pits. I had a surplus store just down the road and my were pretty supportive in my endeavors. I wish I had the energy to do that again.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to also have sticker fights. Gather'em with the stems stil on and run around throwing them at each other. BTW....In the summer we wore a pair of cut off jeans and a ball cap. There was no debate as to where you were hit or not. You would yelp and bleed and have one of your buddies vicious rip the damn thing out of your back. Those were the good times.

Now I feel like I need a medic if I happen to step on on one.

We would also have sticker fights! Where I lived growing up, our neighborhood had a field (w/a pond) behind it and a field without a pond next to it. We would pick cattails and have bicycle jousting matches in the street without our shirts on. Instead of typical jousting jabs, though, we would just full on swing the cattail with all our might. Man those things hurt.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do remember those days. We also played at school during lunch. We had (if anybody remembers these) tiny little die-cast metal guns that were smaller than a book of matches, the hammers would really cock and you could pull the tiny little trigger, so we would use those during recess. Usually we ended up with the teacher taking them away since we would be trying to play with them during class. We would be warned that next time our parents would be called for us disrupting class and she would give them back to us after school...imagine that, in trouble for being disruptive, not for having toy guns.

These days playing army and having something like that in school or calling a clump of dirt a grenade is likely to get kid suspended and a trip to the school counseler for mental eval.

Latest posts

Top Bottom