Remember When We Played Army?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall a July 4th parade in Belton,TX in '72 iirc. Dad was stationed at Ft Hood. Myself and 3 other kids were on a float representing soldiers from different wars. I got to be the Vietnam grunt. The coolest thing? I was carrying an M16. Try that now!

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do remember those days. We also played at school during lunch. We had (if anybody remembers these) tiny little die-cast metal guns that were smaller than a book of matches, the hammers would really cock and you could pull the tiny little trigger, so we would use those during recess. Usually we ended up with the teacher taking them away since we would be trying to play with them during class. We would be warned that next time our parents would be called for us disrupting class and she would give them back to us after school...imagine that, in trouble for being disruptive, not for having toy guns.
These days playing army and having something like that in school or calling a clump of dirt a grenade is likely to get kid suspended and a trip to the school counseler for mental eval.

Those were called Sonofaguns. No lie, GI. Don't ask me how I remember that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom