Reverse sear method of cooking a steak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran across this video on how to "cook the best steak" and I HAD to give it a try. I normally only grill my steaks over open fire/coals and I typically just cook rib eyes. To put this recipe to the test I got a tighter and dryer cut. a NY Strip. I cooked the steaks just as he instructs in the video and I have to say that it was probably the best non-grilled steak I have eaten. It was considerably more tender than cooking fast on the grill and had more juice than any NY Strip I've ever had. I will be doing this again when grilling is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_02_05_a36916682d11981fde4c3c46a29ef9da.jpg

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've used this method, but it does require a thick steak to be of any benefit. As is discussed in the video, many restaurants sear then finish in the oven.

I've found that getting a cast iron skillet as hot as possible, using some butter and then searing on all sides for a couple of minutes really lends itself to a great steak. The oven helps for thick stuff, but now i'll just sear a bit longer and enjoy the rare center.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've used this method, but it does require a thick steak to be of any benefit. As is discussed in the video, many restaurants sear then finish in the oven.

I've found that getting a cast iron skillet as hot as possible, using some butter and then searing on all sides for a couple of minutes really lends itself to a great steak. The oven helps for thick stuff, but now i'll just sear a bit longer and enjoy the rare center.

The more I eat steak and cook it myself, the rarer I like it....
And as much as I love a grilled steak, cast iron is so much easier I hardly ever use my grill.....

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking a good variation on this would be to put it in the smoker to bring it up to temp instead of the oven, giving it a little bit of smoky flavor first.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I cook my steaks now. I add some kosher salt and cracked black pepper before torching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I cook my steaks now. I add some kosher salt and cracked black pepper before torching.

Sous Vide is definitely the best. Do you have a sous vide supreme or did you make a home made one? I got lucky....won my Sous Vide Supreme on the internet. Still need a vaccum sealer, but for now zip lock bags work great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom