Pan seared ribeye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html

I had 2 16oz Ri eyes to cook yesterday. The wife wanted to try this Alton Brown recipe. I was a little hesitant to screw up an $11 steak. We went for it. It was absolutely delicious, juicy, easy to make and a perfect medium rare.

Has anyone else tried this method? I'd recommend trying it atleast once if not. I don't think you will be disappointed. Sorry, no pics. Greg

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 'reverse sear'. Basically, it's a similar method to this, but instead of finishing in the oven, you start there. There is a good video on youtube about it. It's wonderful to thick steaks and doesn't give you the 'bullseye' effect (gray, less gray, pink, less gray, gray).

I start with an oven rack over a cookie sheet and head the oven to 225°-250°. Put the steaks in and let them gradually come up with ~90°.

Once there, i pull them out and let them rest for 10 or so minutes (this means you don't need to rest at the end of the cook).

Meanwhile, put your cast iron skillet over a high high heat and let it get as hot as you can.

Throw some butter in the skillet and then the steaks and let the searing begin. This yields a steak that is evenly cooked from seared edge to seared edge (no bullseye)

I also have been playing around with doing this on my grill for a more 'outdoor' flavor. Throw the steaks over the indirect heat and let them warm up to temp and then rest while get my coals as hot as i can. Then sear. Doing it outside means far less smoke in my house, which the wife likes.

it is great for making sure you don't overcook your steak (if you're attentive). my chef friend said he only does the reverse sear at home, but has to do the method you mentioned at his restaurant since they can't afford to start cooking a steak until it's ordered.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we had the restaurant, we would sear them in a pan and then toss them over the flames. The trick was to put a little butter on the steak when you pull it off.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have been doing it this way for years, its really nice when you are feeding a bunch of people and you just take the steaks out to the grill and finish them off.

Yep, and also makes it easy to adjust for people who prefer their steaks more done. Just start them in the oven a bit earlier than the others and finish them all in the pan/grill at the same time.

It also works well if you ever want to get crazy and use your charcoal chimney to sear. Just get your coals going in the chimney and put a grate over it and you've got a very very hot way to sear.

This method also works really well for chops and other cuts.

Perhaps one of the best things i've learned about doing any meat is to salt early. Amazing ribs suggests 1/2 tsp per lb of kosher (not table) salt. If you can put it on hours in advance and let the salt soak in you'll get a very even salt flavor throughout the steak.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd try it once probably, the kids and wife would like it that way as shown in the youtube. I'll like mine seared on the grill and then eaten, barely warm in the center though. I start everyone else's and about the time I'm ready pull theirs off, I'll cook mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom