Reverse sear method of cooking a steak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SOOOOOOO hunggggrryyyy......

cdn.meme.am_images_300x_5514414.jpg

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you not add the salt and pepper to the raw steak before putting it into the bag? Seems that would penetrate the meat better than putting it on just before searing.

Also, both videos seem to point out that you need thick steak. This would likely work with a thin steak too it would just not take as long, dontcha think?

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you not add the salt and pepper to the raw steak before putting it into the bag? Seems that would penetrate the meat better than putting it on just before searing.

Also, both videos seem to point out that you need thick steak. This would likely work with a thin steak too it would just not take as long, dontcha think?

The steaks I did with the reverse sear method were only about an inch thick and it worked great... but you are right it did not take as long as the video suggested.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used thin steaks in the sous vide and they came out fine, but as stated I usually let them cook longer than 2 hours(minimum of 6). You can't overcook the meat by leaving it for longer periods, but smaller, thinner cuts will likely get to temp faster than thicker cuts. Chicken is the only caveat(fish may be too, but I don't really like fish). Chicken breast for example is at least 2 hours but preferably less than 4. I let some breasts go for 12 hours in a spicy tomato sauce and they were kind of mushy. Beef and pork don't have this problem.

From the book: "Most of the tenderizing at 130-140 F occurs within the first 6 hours. ...transform tough cuts of meat into tender cuts by cooking them at 130-140 F for 6-72 hours."

You can turn some of the toughest meats into fork tender meat with a long sous vide bath.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a similar method of cooking a steak this way. Its all done on a grill that has a dedicated searing burner. Cooking on low heat to bring up the internal temperature then dropping it on the searing burner to finish it off.

For now I'l keep my method of cooking steaks. There is beer and a grill involved in the process.

Storm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sous vide is definitely the way to go. I usually use fresh garlic and butter in the bag. I've done carrots and asparagus before, and they turned out well too. I need to try potatoes next.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What method does Golden Corral use to cook steaks? I know they're heavy on the salt but besides from that, they get a lot of flavor out of a cheap steak.
I would guess they liquid marinate the heck out of the tough piece of meat. I fell for that all you can eat steak buffet once.
They should say all you care to chew steak buffet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom