Reverse sear method of cooking a steak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave my Cookshack Smokette to my Brother-in law to borrow...right..borrow.

So, I'm looking at a Cookshack Fast Eddy pg500 and a Yoder 640.

Can't wait to get on of these pellet smokers and grill some steaks and pork butts and ribs and beef ribs and....well, you get the picture!!!

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's another great thing about the Sous Vide method....I can cook a brisket at 20-30 below done temp for 24-48 hours(the longer you cook it the more you render the fat), and smoke it for about 4 hours and its done. Best of both worlds.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sous Vide is definitely the best. Do you have a sous vide supreme or did you make a home made one? I got lucky....won my Sous Vide Supreme on the internet. Still need a vaccum sealer, but for now zip lock bags work great.

Have a food saver but not a sous-vide machine. They only thing I've done sous-vide so far is steaks.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's another great thing about the Sous Vide method....I can cook a brisket at 20-30 below done temp for 24-48 hours(the longer you cook it the more you render the fat), and smoke it for about 4 hours and its done. Best of both worlds.

My God man. I've never thought about brisket. You sir, I tip my cap to you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Genius!

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been wanting to play with Sous Vide but the machines / circulators are fairly expensive... but I could sure try this.. and probably will, thanks!

That's why do mine in the cooler. I heat a big pot of water up on the stove to 140 and dump it in the cooler. I put my steaks in the vacuum sealer (or ziploc and straw method like in the video works too.), let them sit for 2 hours, pull out, season with kosher salt and black pepper. Sear with a Bernzomatic propane torch, and serve. So simple and easy and delivers the best tasting steak you will ever eat.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy temperature regulators for home made sous vides for around $50-100, so you can cook larger pieces of meat(longer cook times) and not continually add hot water. There are videos and howtos out there.

The book that came with my Sous Vide says 6-8 hours for a medium rare steak, so I usually throw one in when I wake up or before I go to bed and its ready for lunch or dinner(whenever I feel like eating it); never tried it after only 2 hours. I have time and temps for just about everything you can think of(beef, pork, lamb, poultry, trukey, duck, fish and shellfish, etc.). The only things I haven't tried yet that I've been meaning to is infusing alcohol and making yogurt(I have done some custards).

Feel free to PM me for details. Maybe I'll just scan the time/temps section and post it up for you guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom