Pan seared ribeye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your meat is turning gray, you're either using cheap meat or old meat. It should be a rich mahogany brown.

I was simply trying to explain what i meant by bullseye in this sense. The seared part should be brown, but searing alone it will yield a very cooked meat immediately underneath that. The reverse sear is nice because it heats the entire steak up evenly and means you aren't searing to 'cook' the steak.

One other benefit it forgot to mention is that the reverse sear drives off some of the surface moisture, making searing easier and more affective.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First rule I always use is to lay the steaks out and let them come to room temp before cooking, just make sure the dog doesn't know about them!
We lost a couple of fillets to a hungry Brittany Spaniel. Too close to the edge of the counter. He was working on the second one when I found him. First instinct was to get mad, but realized it was our fault and not his. Best danged meal he ever had!

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be considered blasphemy, but I have become really fond of thin-cut ribeye. They are affordable enough to eat weekly, portion size is wife friendly, and searing alone is sufficient.

Last edited:

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be considered blasphemy, but I have become really fond of thin-cut ribeye. They are affordable enough to eat weekly, portion size is wife friendly, and earing alone is sufficient.

I don't think its blasphemy, I fondly remember sitting on the patio at my folks home down at Clayton on the kiamichi river . My dad would grill the steaks and cut thin slices off as they grilled and we would eat them as he cut them. Miss those good times

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be considered blasphemy, but I have become really fond of thin-cut ribeye. They are affordable enough to eat weekly, portion size is wife friendly, and searing alone is sufficient.
Mexican restaurant we go to occasionally serves thin cut ribeyes as part of a dish. The 3/8" cut is not appealing to the eye coming off the grill, but they have danged sure figured out a way to keep it red in the middle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything on their menu is fantastic.
Love the old airport setting too.
You know whats interesting about that place, I've taken a lot of folks there, and they ***** about having to pay for the tortilla chips. Home made, out of the fryer hot unlike any tortilla chip you've ever had, and they ***** about paying a buck for them.
I give up on some people......lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom