Safety in garage floor / in ground vs above ground tornado shelters ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of the type of in-ground shelter you get, the fact is that it may be covered with debris after a tornado. 101 people were "rescued" the first evening after the tornado. Most of those were literally dug out from some type of in ground shelter. It doesn't matter what type of shelter, what type of door, what type of come-along/winch you have, if a house, car, tree, business or any combination of the above lands on top of your shelter you might be there for a while. Be prepared, have what you need in the shelter to live a day or two. Register the shelter with the city and understand that help will get there as quickly as possible. A signalling device (strobe lights, air horns, etc) might be handy items to include as you can hold those up to the vents, or any slight opening you can achieve with your shelter and greatly assist in identifying where you are and that you need assistance.

Lenonthelake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Natural gas is lighter than air. It does not flow down hill. If you don't believe me, use a natural gas hose to blow natural gas bubbles. Put the hose in a soap solution or bubble solution. They will float to the ceiling. My class loves this demonstration, trying to catch the bubble with a lighter is enlightening. Nice fire balls.
Gasoline, propane, will fill the holes. It is heavier than air. If you want to do the math.

Natural gas is CH4= 16 g / mole
Propane is C3H8 = 44 g /mole
Gasoline is basically C8H18. 114 / mole. Gasoline is a mixture of several different fractions I just used the octane one for the example. If you have ever used gasoline to light fires you know it sinks along the ground.

Air is 78 % Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. Air is about 28.88 g / mole.

If the mass is less than the mass of air it floats, if it is more it sinks. Regular balloons filled with natural gas will sink because of the weight of the balloon. I think a thin trash-bag will float if it is of the large kind. I have heard stories of people doing that with a candle attached to light the gas at altitude. I have not actually tried it.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not want to be above ground in a direct hit from a tornado. I keep a 72hr emergency kit that I put together for 6 people in my cellar. My cellar is also registered with local emergency management so that they know to look for it under any rubble.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In ground garage:
Looking at how much crap people store in their garages I wouldn't suggest one of those. Also, the thought of a home collapsing on it also freaks a claustrophobic guy out.

Above ground safe:
I don't like the above ground safes either, just think what would happen if that tanker that flew thru the air on that other thread nailed it.. goodbye

Old timer outside inground seems the best and has proven so over many a years.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hail is one of the reasons why I'd probably not opt for an under-garage-floor unit. In every home that I've lived in, including my present home, I'd have to park my car over the shelter.

The in-garage-floor shelter in my house is specifically designed for the car to be parked on top of it, AND for you to be able to get in it with the car there.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you watched the POTUS visit to Moore on Sunday, the Secret Service took to the only highground in the area for a vantage point. That vantage point looked to be the roof of an above ground shelter.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm seeing ............

IF ..................
IF ..................
IF ..................
IF ..................
IF ..................

Get the BEST you can afford and feel most comfortable with. I believe in the in-ground with 2 doors, 1 in the garage (don't have to go out in the weather to enter) and 1 out the back.

The main point from ALL the IFs, IF the man upstairs has decided it is your time, the only prep that matters is IF you have your eternity prepped because you are on your way, either direction. Part of being prepped is prepping heart, mind and SOUL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom