Sale and trade values

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite: $500 cash, $750 trade value. Huh?

My 2nd favorite: you see this picture with ALL this stuff on it? Yeah, that’s not part of the sale! Well then, take it off and then take pics and place THOSE in the ad!
That’s the point I was trying to make. People are asking new prices for used guns and want to add 25%-50% for trade. That’s like saying my gun is worth $500 but I want your $700 gun in trade, so nobody buys and the same listing is on there for months, and daily postings are mostly old stale items. If you really want to sell your gun, put a fair price on it and get it done or trade for something you want at similar value. When I see a new listing for something at a good or fair price, it is usually gone or spoken for in less than a day. I understand that most people on this site are here because of the discussions and forums. Including me,,,, “BUT” I believe that original most everyone started because it was a place you could buy and sell guns.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the point I was trying to make. People are asking new prices for used guns and want to add 25%-50% for trade. That’s like saying my gun is worth $500 but I want your $700 gun in trade, so nobody buys and the same listing is on there for months, and daily postings are mostly old stale items. If you really want to sell your gun, put a fair price on it and get it done or trade for something you want at similar value. When I see a new listing for something at a good or fair price, it is usually gone or spoken for in less than a day. I understand that most people on this site are here because of the discussions and forums. Including me,,,, “BUT” I believe that original most everyone started because it was a place you could buy and sell guns.
I don’t agree with it but kind of understand the discrepancies in sale price vs trade value in listings, and it goes back to how different people value their stuff. What I’ve experienced is that the majority of people today interested in trading want full retail for their stuff but expect to get something priced at wholesale or less. When I list something for sale, it’s because I’m ready to get rid of it, so I pretty much refuse to trade at all.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience selling guns in this forum because up to at least this point in my life selling a gun has basically seemed like a form of sacrilege (though that may soon change since I have way more guns than makes any sense or than I even care about anymore) but I have recently been selling some items on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

I tend to at least initially mark things above what I'd take for them so I have a little room for bargaining with folks. The weird thing is that at least on those platforms you tend to either get 1) full price scam offers, 2) ridiculous lowball offers or 3) someone asking "what's your bottom dollar."

The first of those responses have gotten kind of fun to deal with. I've already gotten one $50K check from someone buying the food trailer I have for sale. The second I usually counter with a higher price than the listing says and the last I refuse to entertain because I'm not going to start bidding against myself. I always tell those folks, "I will be happy to take the amount on the listing or respectfully consider any reasonable and substantiated offer. Most of those folks don't know what that means and very few ever make an offer.

The other day someone inquired of my food trailer, "What lead to needing to sell?" as if they're trying to smoke out some drama or personal business. I just replied, "I just don't need it anymore and it's in the way. Did you want to make an offer?" Crickets, of course.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Well the main thing to keep in mind is there is a whole new generation of "shooters" out there. That particular generation wants something for nothing... and add that to the fact that most people are cheap... then you have the situation we have here and on Armslist and other places like it.

Just list it for what you think you need to get out of it and go from there. If it sits it sits.

Yeah home made grip jobs and 50 dollar Academy lights don't add squat to a firearms value. But a decent set of night sights from a reputable company and 2 or 3 extra magazines.... then you got some value there.

But holsters..... that's what chaps me..... no buddy your holster won't work for everyone.... and not everyone likes to carry how you like to carry. Holsters add jack and squat to a sale..... but hey opinions are like what again?

I've seen decent deals on here and Armslist..... I've bought plenty of stuff online sites over the years and sold some stuff also......

If you don't like the price..... just ignore it... and move on with your day.... not really worth the energy or worry to invest the time to get worked up about it.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
A person can ask whatever they want for their item, you aren't being forced to buy it. Don't like the price? Move on.......
I mean there is a certain type of people that will pay an extra hundred or two....... and a type of people that just cater to them also....... not everyone on here are angels.........I imagine organized crime and just your booger eater types are everywhere.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A person can ask whatever they want for their item, you aren't being forced to buy it. Don't like the price? Move on.......

OH while I agree with you , its a free country but when you try to ask 2k for a no name rifle or $1500 for Glock 19 you're getting heckled a bit .

Course I will say its hard to get rid of a gun here even if you price it realistically and to that point and I'll be blunt there's folks who dream big when they make offers lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom