Sanders asked to leave restaurant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I agree that is a problem. But it requires a different solution than banning all LGBT from serving. The military has a long history of allowing sexual predators to continue to serve and this culture needs to change. The problem is that most of the brass at the top are older and set in their ways. This makes them less willing to think a different way. When change is finally forced on the armed forces its in policies that are idiotic and make the enlisted grow resistant to any positive changes in that direction. I just want any able bodied person, regardless of sex, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation to be able to proudly serve our country without having to hide who they are.
Where you actually in the military?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Some new energy source" is not even remotely the same as "disrupt[ing] the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen without spending an equal amount of energy to do so." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_law_of_thermodynamics, and focus on the words "closed system." Yes, you can use a new energy source--or even an old one--to add energy to the system and break the bonds, but the H-O bond has a fixed amount of energy in it, and it will always take that delta to break. Catalysts may reduce the activation energy, lowering the "hump" you have to surmount to break the bond, but the excess between the bond and free-state will be re-emitted.

Thermodynamics doesn't lie. Catalysts improve efficiency, but you still have to put in the energy to break the bond, and you'll still get that much back out when you burn (or otherwise consume) the hydrogen. Minus the losses, of course--that's the second law of thermodynamics.

Put briefly, the three laws are:
1: You can't win.
2: You can't break even.
3: You'll keep going until you get to zero.

I'll try to phrase this the best way I can so that it doesn't sound like I'm saying you're wrong, because that is not what I'm trying to say. I've always taken what science has taught us with a small grain of doubt. In some sciences, that grain is microscopic, in others it can be seen by the naked eye. The laws we have in physical science are sound being they are based on countless observations that back them up. But we have to remember that these observations are based on conditions that we have here on earth and conducted with the current technology. Yes, this is wishful thinking bordering on insanity, but we never know what tomorrow may bring. Take Newton's 2nd law and the general theory of relativity. For a long time the scientific community took both of these as absolute, until they started measuring galaxy rotational curve on surrounding galaxies. Based on these two the gases and matter around galaxies should slow down the further they get from the center of the galaxy, however that is not the case. This is where the theory of dark matter came about, to explain why gases and matter hit a certain speed then plateaued instead of slowing down. Now they are looking at revised versions of both Newton's second law and Einstein's general theory of relativity.

As science advances so does our understanding, and things that were once explained one way now have a different explanation.

Either way, I would like to see more research done into either new fuel that is renewable and/or revisiting existing fuel sources. I'm not saying give up fossil fuels and force a change, rather lets work towards energy that is clean and renewable.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was an honest question so no need to start off being a prick.

The way I read your post it came out in a snide voice, I apologize if that wasn't your intent.

Wow... No, just BASD, ETS, Rank and MOS. Combat deployments and duty stations should suffice. Oh, and schools other than BCT and AIT that produced identifiers. :burnout:

My military career was cut short due to my own actions and an ******* captain. I was a cadet at USMA and my 2nd year I fell into academic trouble, got into an argument with a captain who knew I was right, he talked to the light bird in charge of the academic board and pushed to have me released. So yes, my military stint was short, however I'm third generation, parents were air force, one grandfather was marines the other was a navy pilot during the Korean war. My brother also did 11 years between reserves and active duty with 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. My opinions were formed from several of the cadets I knew at WP (some of who are still serving), extensive talks with my brother and discussions I've had with other veterans/active duty.

If I've pissed on a few shoes, I'm sorry but not sorry. My political view gets me in trouble a lot since it pits me against both sides of the aisle. One thing I will say is that I will support individual rights and freedom.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you as a cadet got into an argument with a captain? Did you ever think that if you stopped pissing on shoes that things might go a little better? Sure I shouldn't have to get the state's blessing to tote my hogleg, but I need to tote it, so I do. Sometimes you have to shake your head yes , smile and walk away man...

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I read your post it came out in a snide voice, I apologize if that wasn't your intent.

My military career was cut short due to my own actions and an ******* captain. I was a cadet at USMA and my 2nd year I fell into academic trouble, got into an argument with a captain who knew I was right, he talked to the light bird in charge of the academic board and pushed to have me released. So yes, my military stint was short, however I'm third generation, parents were air force, one grandfather was marines the other was a navy pilot during the Korean war. My brother also did 11 years between reserves and active duty with 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. My opinions were formed from several of the cadets I knew at WP (some of who are still serving), extensive talks with my brother and discussions I've had with other veterans/active duty.

If I've pissed on a few shoes, I'm sorry but not sorry. My political view gets me in trouble a lot since it pits me against both sides of the aisle. One thing I will say is that I will support individual rights and freedom.

A and crusty ole Master Sergeant once told me, "The best way to make it in the military is to keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut".

Whether the Captain was right or wrong is irrelevant. Your only response should have been "Yes Sir!" LTs, CPTs and even Majors dont generally dont make policy, they follow it. Most likely he was giving the benefit of his 6 to 10 years of military experience to your zero military experience.

You cant make assumptions based on what anyone tells you about the military. Opinions are subjective and lack any substance without any service experience.

Any policy that seems stupid that actually is stupid, you can bet your bottom dollar that it was a political policy. Again doesn't matter. Most of those policies are driven by the fact that we're dealing with foreign entities. Other policies may seem stupid, but in fact, 99% of the time there are reasons behind them. You wouldn't begin to understand them until you have had 5 to 10 years of service strips on your sleeve.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally I would agree with both of you, especially if it was just over policy. However this had to do with the health and well being of a subordinate of mine (your sophomore year, or as we called it, yuk year you get your first leadership role over a freshman). I won't go into a full explanation, but the extent of the argument was I told him I disagreed with something. Never did I raise my voice, I was respectful, and basically followed every bit of decorum. It was simply the fact that I disagreed with him that set him off. Meh, it is what it is. I gave them the ammunition to shoot me with when I fell behind in my studies. That part is on me. Had I not failed a math class I wouldn't have been up on an academic board and the next semester I would have had a different OL. When they released me I was wanting to go active duty as an enlisted, however I missed two fitness tests due to coming of a blown ACL so they denied me.

Any policy that seems stupid that actually is stupid, you can bet your bottom dollar that it was a political policy. Again doesn't matter. Most of those policies are driven by the fact that we're dealing with foreign entities. Other policies may seem stupid, but in fact, 99% of the time there are reasons behind them. You wouldn't begin to understand them until you have had 5 to 10 years of service strips on your sleeve.

This I agree with completely and is mimicked in my current job, though you can substitute lawsuits for politics as the cause of stupid policies. And as a whole, at least when I was in, I had no issues with 99.9% of the policies, even some of the asinine ones at WP. I simply disagree with the opinion that LGBT people have no place in the armed services. You can agree with me or don't, that's your choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom