School me on lever action cartridges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can hunt deer with a 357. I'd keep my shots within 75 yards maybe 100 if it's a heavier load. Probably go farther with this hornady rubber tip rounds

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 Marlin 30-30's that will consistently shoot 1 MOA with Winchester 150gr. Silvertips, and a little better with hand-loads. I've owned a dozen or more of these rifles, and shot many more than that while working on them. And myself, family, and friends have killed so many deer and hogs with a 30-30 that I couldn't count them. I've personally killed more than 10 deer and a dozen hogs with the 150 gr. Silvertip, and it performs great. That being said, if I wanted a new backpacking gun, I'd seriously consider an AR in 6.5 Grendel.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I mentioned "knockdown power" I guess you could say I was referring to penetration and expansion... Bad choice of words on my part. I'm just looking for something that I can make a clean one shot kill with an accurately placed shot.

I don't reload (yet), but it is something I want to look into in the future, esp with getting into larger more expensive calibers. All of my guns that I have are cheap to shoot, and I bought them that way for that reason, among many others.

Now.... What is the difference between .35 and .375? Aside from size? And one thing I have considered is getting a lever action in .357, as I would be carrying a revolver chambered in the same most of the time I am outdoors. What kind of performance would I be looking at out of a .357 from a rifle? When I think of a .357 rifle I just think of it as an oversized pistol, not so much as a viable tool for hunting.

Shadowrider, I def would have been interested in picking that .375 up, aside from my concern of finding ammo for it.

I have a variety of lever rifles, 30-30, 357 mag, 44 mag, 454 Casull, 22 hornet, 45-70, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I shoot 375 Win in a TC Contender. as to the difference in a 35 rem and a 375 win, 35 rem is a fairly mild cartridge, and the 375 is a very potent round, lots more recoil. The 35 rem, the 357 Herrett are close ballistically. I absolutely love the lever rifles.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, the appealing thing about the 35 is the wide range of bullets available to handloaders.
You can use a 125gr HP pistol boolit for nuisance critters, 158gr or 180gr hard cast for bigger game.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a variety of lever rifles, 30-30, 357 mag, 44 mag, 454 Casull, 22 hornet, 45-70, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I shoot 375 Win in a TC Contender. as to the difference in a 35 rem and a 375 win, 35 rem is a fairly mild cartridge, and the 375 is a very potent round, lots more recoil. The 35 rem, the 357 Herrett are close ballistically. I absolutely love the lever rifles.

22hornet lever action please details!!!!!

Sent via message in a bottle

Latest posts

Top Bottom