School me on security systems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are getting our first home and it's not in the best (or worst) part of town. We're getting security storm doors and I plan on picking up some Harbor Freight motion sensors that were mentioned on the board a month or so ago, but a security system is a must for us, too. Problem is, I don't really know all that much about them.

If you guys could lend me your opinions on…

- Which monitoring company is the best?
- What should we expect to pay for setup fees?
- What's a good rate to expect for monitoring fees?
- Is monitoring a month-by-month thing or a lengthy contract?
- And what are your experiences with security systems?

We've got plenty of "last resort" and are careful people in general, so this is more for when we're away.

Thanks!

On a side note, we've been extremely careful with our finances and were stunned that we both have low-800 credit scores. :shocked: Never thought we'd be able to get a 15 year note at 2.75%… :thumb:

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but my fiancé and I had guardian security do a reprogram and add extra keypad I. The house we bought a few months ago. Install and reproduce was free. Signed a three year deal with them for $19.95 a month. A lot of her family has used guardian for many years, and they monitored our alarm at our previous place. Very happy with them, and customer service has been good thus far.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to look at several companies but TNT came out first and they sold me. No problems with them whatsoever and I gotta say that getting an alarm was one of the best things for a house I've ever done. Love the peace of mind it brings.

The security companies can equip you with anything from a basic system to one with all the bells and whistles. Just like anything else though, the more complex the more expensive and usually a longer contract. My system just had a one year contract and I paid for all the equipment up front. The monitoring runs me less than $20 and I'm out of the contract now so I could switch providers anytime I desired but I have no need.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a previous thread

Rec security 691-9120
Wiring solutions 476-9473

Both local, and use US Monitoring which is a local monitoring company started by a guy who was the manager for several years of one of the larger security supply warehouses in OKC. He's a great guy. I was in the business for many years.

eta... if your're spending the money on a system, ADD ATLEAST ONE SMOKE DETECTOR TO IT!!! They are expensive, but can save thousands of dollars and memories. I was never a salesmen, I installed home and business. The only item i ever tried to sell was fire detection. Think about it, if your gone for the weekend or ??. By the time someone outside your home sees smoke to call the FD, it's already a loss or atleast thousands in damages. A smoke detector will have them there possibly before there's even a flame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom