Scissortail Flycatcher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well long of the short when i was very very active younger days!! it wasn't uncommon for me to eat a large pizza and a half, 3 or 4 hamburgers ..heck my dear friend used to go to Captin D's after Duck Hunting. my record was 13 piece battered fish 4 order hush puppies, 4 coldslaw and Ice Tea!! just so you have a reference. no Bull Ship!

Sigh ... I raised 3 boys. Those kids did very nearly eat me out of house and home when they hit puberty. I just thought things were bad before then -- when they were 8, 9, 10 ... Don't EVER say it can't get worse. Because it can. And it did. 🤦🤦🤦

I think the meal that sticks out the most in my mind -- I bought one of those big packages of hamburger from Sam's because I wanted some leftovers for lunch the next day. Nope. No leftovers for me. And that was just the appetizer. 😲 That was with all the fixings -- buns, tomato, pickle, onion, cheese, the whole 9 yards.

They also ate corn salad (6 cans of corn with red pimento, onion, a bag of frozen peas, orange bell pepper, mayo and Italian dressing), -- the WHOLE bowl --an entire bag of frozen French fries (the big bag from Sam's) -- the WHOLE bag.

And after they were done with that they polished off an ENTIRE sheet cake and a half gallon of ice cream. Yes, with sprinkles ... Lol

Oh ... Yeah ... I almost forgot -- the family sized bags -- yes that is plural -- of potato chips they snacked on while I was cooking.

Looking back I'm amazed it only took 3 jobs to keep them fed. Lol

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sigh ... I raised 3 boys. Those kids did very nearly eat me out of house and home when they hit puberty. I just thought things were bad before then -- when they were 8, 9, 10 ... Don't EVER say it can't get worse. Because it can. And it did. 🤦🤦🤦

I think the meal that sticks out the most in my mind -- I bought one of those big packages of hamburger from Sam's because I wanted some leftovers for lunch the next day. Nope. No leftovers for me. And that was just the appetizer. 😲 That was with all the fixings -- buns, tomato, pickle, onion, cheese, the whole 9 yards.

They also ate corn salad (6 cans of corn with red pimento, onion, a bag of frozen peas, orange bell pepper, mayo and Italian dressing), -- the WHOLE bowl --an entire bag of frozen French fries (the big bag from Sam's) -- the WHOLE bag.

And after they were done with that they polished off an ENTIRE sheet cake and a half gallon of ice cream. Yes, with sprinkles ... Lol

Oh ... Yeah ... I almost forgot -- the family sized bags -- yes that is plural -- of potato chips they snacked on while I was cooking.

Yep I Raised 4 its tough at times! funny story my duck hunting buddy his parents kind of took care of me and made sure i had food i ate with them just like i lived there! his mom would make a large pan of Lasagna his mom and dad would take a 4"square each and she would go ok you 2 can have the rest my buddy would cut it in half and say here you go! man they were good to me!

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dang, that is some serious food costs.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ate any of these absolutely beautiful birds, that is our state bird, I haven't been that hungry yet! If it's not illegal to kill these birds, it should be!! I love watching them, while mowing hay, they are capable of some amazing aerobatics! They will sit on a fence post, or fly along about 4 feet off the ground, as the mower stirs up insects, and suddenly shoot straight up, to catch a insect!! It's amazing to watch anything do that can maneuver like that! I think the Scissor Tail Fly Catcher, and the Bird of Paradise, the state bird of Texas, are the same bird with different names?

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, that is some serious food costs.

Yep! I was SO happy when my middle and youngest boys got jobs at Whittaker's Grocery. I even worked there for a little while. It was nice to be at a grocery store. They used to ask me if I wanted stuff they were gonna clearance before they stuck it out on the shelf. I got some good deals that way. They were really good to their employees.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ate any of these absolutely beautiful birds, that is our state bird, I haven't been that hungry yet! If it's not illegal to kill these birds, it should be!! I love watching them, while mowing hay, they are capable of some amazing aerobatics! They will sit on a fence post, or fly along about 4 feet off the ground, as the mower stirs up insects, and suddenly shoot straight up, to catch a insect!! It's amazing to watch anything do that can maneuver like that! I think the Scissor Tail Fly Catcher, and the Bird of Paradise, the state bird of Texas, are the same bird with different names?

I think you are right -- they might be the same bird. And it IS illegal to shoot scissortail flycatchers. I used to see them all over the place when I was a kid. Them and horny toads. Not so much anymore. It's kinda sad ...

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are right -- they might be the same bird. And it IS illegal to shoot scissortail flycatchers. I used to see them all over the place when I was a kid. Them and horny toads. Not so much anymore. It's kinda sad ...
Still see scissor tail haven’t seen a hornytoad since i was a kid

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

What NFL team do they play on?

Latest posts

Top Bottom