Scissortail Flycatcher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a long list of wild birds that are protected by the MBTA, but it’s much easier to remember what birds you can shoot. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lists pigeons, English sparrows and starlings as birds that you can legally shoot. This also means you can shoot these birds at any time.

Above is from a google search. Basically any migratory bird or song bird is Federally protected.
Even Crows have a hunting season in OK. The sparrow is considered an invasive species here in OK.
And of course birds of prey are a no no.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it IS illegal to shoot scissortail flycatchers. I used to see them all over the place when I was a kid. Them and horny toads. Not so much anymore. It's kinda sad ...
In the neighborhood where I grew up on the north side of Norman, we had loads of horny toads, but I haven't seen a one in the wild in nearly 20 years. Conversely, I don't recall seeing any scissortail flycatchers in the wild as a kid, but my folks' farm SE of Lex has lots of them.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Funny they made a non native bird the state bird.
They’re native. OK is in the breeding range and the winter range is in Central America. That’s like saying geese and ducks and other migratory birds aren’t native because they fly south for the winter.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to see them all over the place when I was a kid. Them and horny toads.

Same here. Seldom now days. And the HUGE flocks of black birds changing direction in unison.
Red wing black birds too. Maybe I just don't get out enough now days.
Add Tarantulas to the list.
On the huge flocks of black birds, I'm thinking you're just not getting to the right places. Huge flocks of grackles are a pestilence in Norman (and, probably, most cities in the OKC metro area), and I've sat many a time on my tractor taking a break from haying watching the murmurations of some pretty spectacular flocks of black birds. It's kind of mesmerizing, watching the ebbing and flowing of the flock.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really??!?! Hmmmm ... 🤔🤔🤔
1696810164686.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom