Scissortail Flycatcher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are right -- they might be the same bird. And it IS illegal to shoot scissortail flycatchers. I used to see them all over the place when I was a kid. Them and horny toads. Not so much anymore. It's kinda sad ...
ODWP wants you to report Horny Toady sighting now. There are a whole bunch in Hooker.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, where are these critters from?
Like most birds, Scissortails migrate with the seasons. They spend their spring and summer in the south central plains then head to central america for the winter. There are a lot of them where I live. I love watching them. In late summer I will start seeing large groups of them and a few days later they are gone. They like to cluster up before embarking on their long journey south.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What NFL team do they play on?

Believe it or not they are ALL built like soccer players. Scrawny little shits. But I will say this -- they are all scrappy ... I used to tell them all the time "You better not start anything but if someone else thinks they want a piece of you, you make sure they NEVER come after you again. I will take care of the principal." I had to go up to the school once for my youngest and once for my middle son. After that we didn't have any trouble. My oldest was a damned politician. That kid could charm the bark off a tree. 🙄🙄😂😂😂

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The scissortail is a protected bird and illegal to kill. I was on a hunt many years ago and an out of state guest didn't know the difference between a dove and a scissortail flycatcher. We we were checked by a federal warden and the guest was asked to show the warden his birds. He did and laid out the scissortail along with the morning doves. The guest received a hefty fine for shooting our state bird.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The scissortail is a protected bird and illegal to kill. I was on a hunt many years ago and an out of state guest didn't know the difference between a dove and a scissortail flycatcher. We we were checked by a federal warden and the guest was asked to show the warden his birds. He did and laid out the scissortail along with the morning doves. The guest received a hefty fine for shooting our state bird.
Back when I dove hunted a lot we used to call them a $500 bird because that's what we were told the fine was for killing one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom