Shift work disorder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/B]

There's another aspect to this. And that's there are some people that just think they aren't going to have a problem solely because a doctor prescribed it to them. The doctor is "all knowing" and "all seeing" and wouldn't prescribe something that would cause problems. These people just take it for granted and don't bother to ask questions, then it turns into not being honest when the prescribing doctor starts asking.

Agreed... physicians have a greater responsibility to address these issues. I have no argument with that. It is a difficult spot to be in... you absolutely cannot provide adequate care to your patients today in a typical setting and still be able to turn a profit in your business AND have a life to spend with your family. The three are absolutely antithetical to each other in our current system.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to work 3rd shift, it about killed me and everyone around me. I had a UV light that I would use while at work that seemed to help. It would get me to wake up and then that helped me sleep the next day.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same company for 28 plus years and last sixteen as production supervisor. Most of the time I did the 2nd shift, enjoyed it because any of the 8 different plant mgrs I had over the years were gone for the day as were their yes men. I preferred that shift and they left me alone since I was the senior supervisor. Less stress and was always on my feet whether it was first or second. In about 1 PM, production began at 3 and I was out by 11 or even 1, but I slept good. Worst was third which I had to do when that supervisor went on vacation, just could not handle going to bed at 7 or 8 AM and trying to sleep. Now one of my best friends from those days, just retired from the same company. He spent 20 years on the third shift and last ten on the second shift at a different plant in Nebraska. To this day, Jud sleeps until 9 or so in the AM and will never get out of that rut.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked shift work for 10 years.One month of days,evenings then graveyards.On graveyards i would wake up every 2 or 3 hours.Never got more than 5 or 6 hours of sleeep and it was broken up.Macs swim ear plugs and a room darkening shade helped a little. I lifted weights and ran about 4 times a week and it still didn't help.Realized my ulcer would flare up on the graveyard shift too.Found another job and should have done it sooner.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On them nights i cant seem to get to sleep i have always done 1 of 2 things and that is drink a couple of cups of coffee and im out or have wild sex for a couple of hours but now days its more of the coffee thing but i never get more than 6 hours of sleep at night and thats all i have been getting for over 40 years.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have worked nights for years. all that exercise and stuff is nice but the only thing that really works is a truly dark room. I m talking aluminum foil on the windows along with blackout curtains and whatever else it takes. towel along the bottom side of the door the whole works. if it isn't midnight in the room you will wake up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have worked rotating shift for most of the last 40 yrs.

Come in in the morning, eat a light breakfast (Cheerios), shower, sex, and off to sleep. Wake up noon, 3 hrs of sleep, every day. Wake up 3 -4 times, toss and turn, don't sleep for crap. I enjoy the days off, suffer through the work days.
Tried pills, too hard to get going, easier to just do it. Bedroom has tinted windows, mini blinds, curtains, room darkening drapes, window unit to keep it cold and the humming drowns out outside noises.

Best thing about nights, none of the D***heads (bosses, wheels, wannabes, think they be's) are around. More productive work gets done, with better quality and better attitudes.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best thing about nights, none of the D***heads (bosses, wheels, wannabes, think they be's) are around. More productive work gets done, with better quality and better attitudes.

this is true! morale is so much better on nights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom