should I require bill of sale if selling firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys take any measures to ensure the person isn't a felon or can legally possess a gun?

First firearm I purchased on this site I met in a WM parking lot. The seller asked me if I had a CC permit. I was a newbie and was not ready for that. I said yes and flipped it out. He was smiley and flipped his out of his TPD badge wallet and smiled and said "Just checking". I am not sure what would have happened if I had said no. I am sure he was just trying to cover himself, and I did not mind. He verified back to balance it out.

Gave me some things to think about, if selling, I start out with that approach, do you have a CC? Flows in easily with conversation especially with pistols. I show mine, you have one?

No CC, then I get into "Looking them in the eye and start asking questions" as someone else posted earlier. Just have to go with the gut feeling selling or purchasing CCor not. I had one deal I felt a little flaky on, but it got cleared up to my satisfaction after a little discussion.

I am sure most transactions have been I don't remember him, and he most likely don't remember me, or have a need to from people on this site. Oldies are like an extended family, not much face to face, but familiar in some ways.

Yes, if a shady looking guy comes up to me and says hey I have this nice 1911 for $400, I'll be way more thorough with checking things out or just walk away. However, sometimes you do run across real legit bargains.

I did have a call from someone I had some knowledge of selling a firearm from his dad that passed away that wanted me to take a look at it. Priced way too low. I stated that since it was what it was in virtually new condition with add on items, tritium sights, extra mags and trigger work, it was worth a lot more than he was asking if he wanted to wait a little to advertise to find the right buyer. His statement was "I don't like firearms and I don't care, I am going to sell it to the first person that will hand me x$. My comment was "OK" and started pealing off $ to hand him. I "miscounted" and gave him an extra $50. When he mentioned it, I said "Thanks for calling me first." I had met his dad one time for a few minutes, seemed like nice, very particular guy.

Yes, in a way I felt a little bad, but if not me, it would have been someone else. It has been become my EDC for a couple years.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do require a bill of sale make sure and stat it in your ad. I met a guy at his HOUSE in a nice neighborhood, looked over his XD which was a smoking deal with a ton of extra parts. Go to hand him the cash and he says he wants my ID for his records. I told him no, he was a complete stranger and I don't want him knowing where I live. Said I was shocked in the first place he would meet at his house and that he didn't stat in the ad or numerous phone calls that he required it. He didn't like that and couldn't lock the door behind me fast enough when I left. lol
I was not rude, just matter of fact and told him next time he might want to meet somewhere neutral, and for warn the buyer he requires ID.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt... I would be pissed if that got dropped on me without prior notice. I usually have to drive a ways to meet up with someone... I'm fine if you want a Bill of Sale. Not a problem, just please state that in your ad so I don't waste my time. Thanks.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, a BoS can be fake. When the feds come after you for a crime you didn't commit, and you give them a fake BoS to prove your innocence, you're really not helping yourself...however, if it's real, it can save you from a world of ****. That is, having a real BoS, from a real transaction, can save you when the federal investigation proves it's real. If you did commit the crime, and you give them a fake BoS, they'll find out and hammer you harder. Fake Bills of Sale aren't the issue, it's have a real one to back you up that is.
That's the point as unless it's notarized it's just your word that it's "real" BoS. And as I said a buyer can give you bogus info, even a fake ID. It happened to a friend (the AK sale). A BoS doesn't really back you up legally.

As I said I had the Feds called me about a gun I sold at a gun show that was later used in a crime. All they asked is if I had any info on the sale/buyer and I said no. That was the end of the conversation and I never heard from them again.

Here is the solution. If you want to really cover your butt legally on selling a gun, do the transaction at an FFL. There are many who only charge $10 (B.A.N.G.) and many more $20. Cheap insurance and really covers your butt, if that's what you want. You also have a safe place to meet at the FFL place of business. Also the Feds won't contact you if it's used in a crime as they know where to find the guy who bought it from the FFL records.

I don't do that as I know it's not legally required.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently - as in, this morning - I saw several WTS ads for firearms that piqued my interest to the point I'd have reached out to the seller for a deal, until I saw the "Bill of sale (or ID) required." Since the seller wasn't a dealer with a FFL, I walked away.

Their decision to require a BOS or ID. My decision not to pander to an unnecessary requirement.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was buying a private sale gun at a show and the guy wanted to check ID....so my buddy showed him his DL and the seller took a pic of it. To hell with that, I would have been pissed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom