Should We Swap To Metric?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we switch?

• Yes

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Metric is only for calibers.

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm somewhat used to the metric system now, but I'm also damn tired of having to keep two different sets of tools in the toolbox. I'd bet that the main reason the U.S. hasn't changed over to the metric system yet is due to the cost.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm somewhat used to the metric system now, but I'm also damn tired of having to keep two different sets of tools in the toolbox. I'd bet that the main reason the U.S. hasn't changed over to the metric system yet is due to the cost.

Bolt sizes are a very small problem with the metric system

Go to your home depot and ask for the following
I need eight 3.81 x 8.89 x 243.84 Boards
1 need one 121.92 x 243.84 x 12.7 Sheet rock
All legal descriptions will have to be changed!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd bet that the main reason the U.S. hasn't changed over to the metric system yet is due to the cost.
I would not take that bet.

If we'd switched to the system of measurements of the godless pinko commie heathens back when it came out, it would've been doable, but now we have a biggly yuuuuge economic investment in the system we have. As Uncle TK says, it's not just nuts and bolts; our entire construction industry runs on the inch pattern. Ask a professional carpenter for the centerline measurement of a 6' 8-13/16" cabinet, and I'll bet he can give you the number in no time flat because he deals with those fractions on a daily basis.

The simple fact is that there is no good reason to switch our system of measurements. It would affect people who use it on a daily basis to benefit, essentially, no one. As noted elsewhere, the industries that need metric already use it internally.

Of course, if we keep dumbing down our educational system, we'll eventually be so stupid we'll have to switch to a system that was designed to be so simple that even a Frenchman could use it...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would it depend on what kind of train he drove? You know, steam, diesel, electric?
When I was about six, I asked my mom what my dad did for a living. She told me he was an electrical engineer. That confused the hell out of me, 'cause I'd thought he was flesh and blood, and I didn't know that he did anything with trains.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Motors are meant to be in CUBIC INCHES.
2. Since automakers converted to metric, they are NOT metric. Changed brakes on Wif's car. 2 bolts hold the crappin brake calipers. One is a 7/16" and the other is an 8.5mm Allen head. Who in the hell has an 8.5mm Allen wrench? The car dealer, that's who.

Or the cheap hemmoroid with a 9mm Allen socket and a bench grinder.

Well, I'd have to get rid of half of my tools so I say what wrong with the present system? If it works... The big question is how much money will the politicians make if they decide to change things as they are? That probably is the reason we'd ever change if money were to be made.
Besides, the next thing they'd want to do is join the EU.

Latest posts

Top Bottom