Should We Swap To Metric?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we switch?

• Yes

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Metric is only for calibers.

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go with staying SAE, or whatever they call that.

I have a couple of sets of wrenches and sockets that I keep (just in case) for the RV and such. Those sets reside in the rear floor area of the F450. My close-by tool box in the belly of the RV has primarily plyers, a couple of pipe wrenches, and a few "adjustable" wrenches. Those are what gets used most, because they are just too handy.

Besides, I can't keep up with the "milli," "centi," "deca," "whatever crud.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are pricey but I use mine all the time. First time I saw a guy with them I was blown away went home and ordered some. Knipex Adjustable Pliers. They are spring loaded on the adjuster and can be manipulated with one hand. The smooth jaws have enough slip you can basically ratchet them around nuts. They also make jaws with teeth. They wont take the place of a giant Crescent or pipe wrench but they are amazingly handy tools. I would put the quality on par with any professional tool brands. Video on amazon shows them at work.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are pricey but I use mine all the time. First time I saw a guy with them I was blown away went home and ordered some. Knipex Adjustable Pliers. They are spring loaded on the adjuster and can be manipulated with one hand. The smooth jaws have enough slip you can basically ratchet them around nuts. They also make jaws with teeth. They wont take the place of a giant Crescent or pipe wrench but they are amazingly handy tools. I would put the quality on par with any professional tool brands.
I know two guys with several sizes of those. Very nice they are! I've never taken the time to order some.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say go to metric. Yes you old farts are set in your ways, however metric is a helluva lot easier to use. Plus, no more fractions. No more how many pints to a quart, how many quarts to a gallon, etc etc. You just move the decimal however many places. Plus the fact that all science is in metric. But, thats just my opinion. Which, with two quarters, will get you... um.. crap not much anymore.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say go to metric. Yes you old farts are set in your ways, however metric is a helluva lot easier to use. Plus, no more fractions. No more how many pints to a quart, how many quarts to a gallon, etc etc. You just move the decimal however many places. Plus the fact that all science is in metric. But, thats just my opinion. Which, with two quarters, will get you... um.. crap not much anymore.
Two quarters?? Isn't that 50 pennies if you use the metric system? Or would you still say two quarters cuz quarters are an actual object and not fractions? You just confused the heck outta me!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two quarters?? Isn't that 50 pennies if you use the metric system? Or would you still say two quarters cuz quarters are an actual object and not fractions? You just confused the heck outta me!

Yeah, don't think those would be renamed, and I will not call a quarter pounder a royal with cheese... I won't.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I do have a crescent wrench but I made sure to get one that was Standard and Metric in one. This way I didn't have to buy 2 wrenches, one for each type of nuts/bolts.

standard-metric.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom